Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Try Anything Twice

PreviousPage 2 of 9Next

It's really fun, though I haven't finished it yet. I'm currently on the second version of the 5th chamber. I've also learned that the same method of thinking often won't solve the map on both tries.
With the fourth chamber, I found the part with the

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
difficult and the rest simple the first time through. The second time, is was the opposite.
The 5th chamber feels sort of intimidating to me. It took me a long time to figure out where to go from the main room, and I kept mixing up the entrances to the rooms, even on the second time through.
I really like the way that you see the changes that happen, even if the effects aren't obvious at first. The 5th chamber feels like it needs a bit more direction, but that'a partially because that's where I'm stuck now.
I noticed two problems:
Spoiler

Edit: Completed map, some more comments:
Spoiler

All in all, it was a beautiful map, though a few of the elements required some very precise/quick movements (mostly on the second time through the fourth and fifth maps). I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see what you create for Portal 2.

Thanks for your comments, guys!

bugs

Spoiler

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

I've reinstalled Portal1 just for playing this map. That was the best idea i had this month.
This was really great. I'm working on a speed run for spread it to youtube, but will be a loooong job.

P.S. I encountered a little glitch during my first playthrough.

Spoiler

I usually demorec the blind ride of every map i try, if you want it send me a private message.
(I'll stop recording if i die.)

Wow, that's a commitment!

I love watching speedruns, especially all the crazy shurtcuts people come up with...
Looking forward to that video :thumbup:

I'll also see if I can reproduce the cube bug.

Hey HMW, would you mind if I decompiled the map and tried to remake it for Portal 2? Without any changes in puzzles or anything?

Portal 1.5 http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-15

Sure! But you don't need to decompile anything; the original vmfs are included in the "source" folder.

All my stuff is Creative-Commons licensed, so remakes are completely legit. As long as you mention where you got the original ;)

Don't worry, wouldn't dream of taking credit. By the way, this is my favorite Portal 1 map, it does a lot with what's given to you.

Portal 1.5 http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-15

I was very excited when I saw you had finally finished the fifth chamber.

I knew it was going to be bigger and harder than the fourth chamber... but oh man... I didn't expect it to be that big! Now I know why it took you so long to finish it... This is like the most thinking I've ever done in Portal 1... or in any game.

I am recording my first playthrough of the chamber. I think I'm about half way through the second time through it... and the video is already 3 hours long... I'm about to go and finish the rest... but man... the thing I was stuck on before I stopped... I only solved it after thinking about it for 5 minutes after playing. If the solution I came up with is the intended one... that's just pure devious...

Spoiler

If you want to see my initial playthrough, I can do a lot of editing of my 3+ hours of footage to speed up boring bits. Otherwise, I'll just scrap the whole idea... Again, I had no idea it would be so long.

All I've been doing is giving praise... Maybe when I've finished it I'll come back and give you any suggestions.

So anyway, thanks so much for mapping. I look forward to seeing what you can do with Portal 2!

EDIT: Well, I've finished it now. It ended up at a total of 2 hours 20 minutes... and not 3+ hours like I said. Still, I'll edit it down as much as possible. In the video, I'll add annotations of my suggestions. The main problem with such a huge map is guidance...

Cool, another video! I can't wait to watch it :thumbup:

The last puzzle is the result of "a bit of a brainwave". (Or, more accurately,

Spoiler
)
The intended solution is:
Spoiler
I'd love to see how you did it, though. One of the most fun of making maps is to see how other people solve the puzzles.

Blaizer wrote:
EDIT: Well, I've finished it now. It ended up at a total of 2 hours 20 minutes... and not 3+ hours like I said. Still, I'll edit it down as much as possible. In the video, I'll add annotations of my suggestions. The main problem with such a huge map is guidance...

You're definitely right about the guidance bit. Based on feedback from other players, I have already identified a few spots to add some extra indicators (arrows and such) to attract the player's attention to things. This is pretty hard to get right the first time, since I already know how to solve it :)

HMW wrote:
Cool, another video! I can't wait to watch it :thumbup:

Heh, I'm surprised you remember it... I didn't know what you meant for a second... So long ago...

Well, I've started editing it down... speeding the boring bits up. If I finish editing it tomorrow... I'll figure something out with uploading it...

PreviousPage 2 of 9Next