Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Thread For Small Problems And Requests

PreviousPage 21 of 24Next
TheTobbell wrote:

your avatar gif made me lol

My map is pretty much finished, but I need to do all my indicator lights, and I'm doing them for the first time ever. Does anyone know why I can't seem to place the overlay on tile/white_walltile004g? It's a "dirty" white panel. The marker for the overlay is visible and the dimensions of the overlay are indicated, but I can't actually see the dots on this texture in the editor or when I compile.

Edit: I saw a post that said to use the floor overlay instead of the wall one, because it seemed to work more consistently, and what do you know? It worked.

Where are the symbol overlays that get used instead of antlines? The crescent moon, the circle, the square, etc. I haven't been able to find them yet.

"Signage/" is the folder where all those are. (Filter "signage/shape" to get a few of them, but you'll have to look through the list to find some of the others.

My stuff:
[spoiler]- BEE2 Addons | (BEE2)
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
- Gel is Not Always Helpful[/spoiler]
Lunch wrote:
My map is pretty much finished, but I need to do all my indicator lights, and I'm doing them for the first time ever. Does anyone know why I can't seem to place the overlay on tile/white_walltile004g? It's a "dirty" white panel. The marker for the overlay is visible and the dimensions of the overlay are indicated, but I can't actually see the dots on this texture in the editor or when I compile.

Edit: I saw a post that said to use the floor overlay instead of the wall one, because it seemed to work more consistently, and what do you know? It worked.

The problem here might have been caused by the "brush faces" selection box. If you applied the texture to a different brush and then resized it to include the white panel you also need to add the new brush face to that selection by using the dropper tool with CTRL held down.. you need a new number for each face the overlay touches or it will not show up on that face. This might have been the issue.

Thanks for all the help, everybody.

Next "small" problem. There's a point in my map where the only place to portal on a wall for some fling tactics has a laser going across it, and the trick is you need to use a reflector cube to divert the laser to clear the path so you can jump through that area.

the PROBLEM, as I've just discovered, is that even though the laser is set for lethal damage and if you go and let it hit you under normal circumstances you'll die, when you shoot through a portal at fairly high velocity, the laser doesn't kill you, rendering that part of the puzzle useless. Does anyone know a way that velocity through the laser won't affect its lethality?

Discouragement beams do not damage the player if they are in midair, so you can't accidentally fling yourself into one. The lethal damage keyvalue wasn't ever actually used ingame and is pretty buggy. You could fake it though by adding a trigger_hurt where the laser is (4x4 or so). Then add a trigger_multiple (16x16) around it filtered to reflective cubes (filter_activator_model) that disables the trigger when you touch a cube. (Only put it on the side where the laser is coming from. The point_laser_target entity might be useful, since it's basically an invisible laser relay that you could use to check where the laser is hitting.

My stuff:
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
TeamSpen210 wrote:
Discouragement beams do not damage the player if they are in midair, so you can't accidentally fling yourself into one. The lethal damage keyvalue wasn't ever actually used ingame and is pretty buggy. You could fake it though by adding a trigger_hurt where the laser is (4x4 or so). Then add a trigger_multiple (16x16) around it filtered to reflective cubes (filter_activator_model) that disables the trigger when you touch a cube. (Only put it on the side where the laser is coming from. The point_laser_target entity might be useful, since it's basically an invisible laser relay that you could use to check where the laser is hitting.

I think I'm screwing this up.

Okay. Do I need cubemaps if everything looks okay? Reflections might be screwed up on someone else's computer, right? So cubemaps are a good idea?

According to the cubemaps page of the VDC, " Bug: Building cubemaps in Portal 2 will crash the game if the map you are running is in the default common/portal 2/portal2/maps folder. This crash happens when the map is being reloaded, after the cubemaps have been saved to the file. To prevent the crash, move your map file to common/portal 2/portal2_dlc2/maps, then load and compile the cubemaps."

Okay. I still haven't built the cubemaps, because I don't yet know how, BUT now that my map is saved to that folder, my global_pti_ents instance thing has gone back to just being a little red cube, and no matter what I do, I can't get the full instance to spawn.

Help?

Don't move your vmf out of sdk_content! Just leave it there, but open hammer properties, go to the 'build options' tab and set 'move maps to this directory' to the dlc2 directory. Then everything will work fine.

My stuff:
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
PreviousPage 21 of 24Next