Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The ThinkingWithPortals Map Showcasing Thread

PreviousPage 251 of 257Next

I have a new map out for anyone who's interested! I know this isn't an advertising thread but if you guys checked it out that would be ace :thumbup:

ImageImage

I've been working on my first underground-themed map, which will be one of the few old aperture maps that don't contain any gels.
It's about a new mechanic which you might figure out by looking at the screenshots. It already has custom instances, a few jokes and a secret area, but I'm not sure if it will be ready to be published in the next 2 weeks or so because I'm going to be working on detailing and optimising it. I'm also thinking about adding a whole new puzzle section to it, so it might take a bit longer. Still, I hope you like it!

And about the last screenshot - I don't know how to fix this lighting issue. I haven't done a full compile yet, so I hope that it'll get fixed when I do that. If you know that it won't, please tell me.

I feel like the first screenshot could be improved, the massive amount of small white tiles makes it look tacky and unvaried. Other than that I think that this map will be very cool judging by the screenshots, bar the last one because it looks too dark to see anything. I can't tell what the new testing element is besides the spotlight.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

I'm working on a destroyed map. Is there anything I can improve on here? I think I might need help with the lighting.

awakenings3_dest0001.jpg
awakenings3_dest0002.jpg

Hey look, A trailer.

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb
| _/ () wrote:
I've been working on my first underground-themed map, which will be one of the few old aperture maps that don't contain any gels.
It's about a new mechanic which you might figure out by looking at the screenshots. It already has custom instances, a few jokes and a secret area, but I'm not sure if it will be ready to be published in the next 2 weeks or so because I'm going to be working on detailing and optimising it. I'm also thinking about adding a whole new puzzle section to it, so it might take a bit longer. Still, I hope you like it!

And about the last screenshot - I don't know how to fix this lighting issue. I haven't done a full compile yet, so I hope that it'll get fixed when I do that. If you know that it won't, please tell me.

I agree with CamBen; those small tiles generally look better on smaller surfaces or on panels that are placed for a specific purpose. (Like you did in the third and fifth images.) Other than that, it looks nice.

The lighting problem with the outer sphere should go away once you do a full compile with the -textureshadows, -StaticPropLighting and -StaticPropPolys parameters for VRAD.

Arachnaphob wrote:

Looks very interesting!
I like the soundtrack / sound effects. Really creates a different atmosphere.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
juniverse wrote:
I'm working on a destroyed map. Is there anything I can improve on here? I think I might need help with the lighting.

You need a projected texture to get that good lighting. It may also be nice to throw in some more vines and debris.

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb
Quote:
You need a projected texture to get that good lighting. It may also be nice to throw in some more vines and debris.

Actually I think I'll watch your tutorial.

Quick update on my up-coming map: traps are finished, hallways too, just the dead-ends are need to be finish and some polishing.
The map is a maze with traps, which every time the map is restarted, the layout of the map is changed. The map contains 23 rooms (trap rooms) which all have different kind of traps, some more dangerous than others, others... more fun. As well the map contains jump scares.

The maps objective will be to find 2 levers and the exit door, simple as that.

Thanks to CamBen for his suggestion and to HMW for his answer! I'm glad you like it!

Soon...

PreviousPage 251 of 257Next