Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The press goes apeshit for Nvidia's new GeForce 8800GT.

Hey guys, I'm psyched about this and thought I'd pass it on. My gaming rig is currently bottlenecked by my video card, a mildly overclocked 7600GT. I've been waiting for DirectX 10 parts to come down to a reasonable price, and well... it's been a damn long wait. But it looks like it's over.

Nvidia has just launched the GeForce 8800GT, and by all accounts it hits the price/performance sweet spot. Basically the 8800GT will cost $200-$250, but it handily outperforms the 8800GTS cards (which cost $300-$400) and does almost as well as the 8800GTX ($375+).

For those of you with money to burn, apparently two 8800GTs in SLI configuration will outperform a single 8800GTX 640MB (and 2 GTs is cheaper).

Anyway, prices are a bit high right now because the cards were just released this week, but I am definitely getting one of these babies in a few weeks when it's like $230.

Here's some reviews/benchmarks:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxMCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/geforce_8800_gt/
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/13479

Edit: corrected an error. Originally I said 2 8800GTs would beat 1 Ultra, but they won't. They'll beat 1 8800GTX 640MB.

Cr00ked.

I only just bought a new video card back around August which was a Geforce 8600GT, runs very well so theres not much point in burning $800 for a video card, even 2 when they could be $200 with 50% off next year.

Having 2 kick ass video cards is a dream come true but, why spend so much money for games when all you need is the 8600 when it runs unreal tournament 3 perfectly.

Doesn't run Bioshock very well on the highest detail but it runs VERY well.

I am upgrading here at the start of the new year, I'm not sure what I am getting yet.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I'm getting a full blown computer. With some kick ass stuff. Like a 10.9 (i think) processor, quad core, i think maybe the 8800 graphic cards i dont know which ones though. 4gb ram, two 300 gb harddrives.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Does that mean you'll be running 64-bit Windows? (Only 64-bit OSes can really take advantage of 4GB RAM.) I have been reluctant to go 64-bit so far, because it's harder to get reliable drivers for all your devices.

Anyway, right now I don't have money to build a new box, (and anyway I just put this one together a bit more than a year ago), but I will definitely spend $225 for a new video card which will double (or triple) my framerates in Source games. :) Not to mention the great benefits in Crysis and Bioshock and whatever else comes out in the next six months.

Cr00ked.

Well i'll be buying the computer as it stands so the chances are that's all set up and working even if it is 64bit.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.