Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Off-Topic Thread

PreviousPage 56 of 58Next

That idea has been around since Helltower with the magma.

Just a random thing I wanted to share and have no better place to share it;
Working with Hammer is very strange to me. I spent roughly a month messing around with making Portal 2 maps (nothing released of course, just practice), and everything felt so complex and difficult.

After that month I took an incredibly long break from using Hammer, and even switched operating systems in the meantime. I recently got back into it and everything just feels so easy now. It took me a little bit to remember everything, but now that I have I feel like an idiot for having trouble with it originally and I've even taught myself how to do a couple more things.
I even finally learned how to properly use Skotty's Energy Ball instances. I never even noticed the $relay parm before! Or if I did, I didn't know how to use it...

Even though I'm much better than I was, though, I'm still incredibly far from making anything worthy of releasing, and nothing really worth showing off either. I'm only working on one original map that I keep having to rethink every time I start working on it, I just kinda suck at thinking of puzzles.

At least I'm having metric tons of fun recreating P1 chambers on my own time. I'm doing chambers 16 and 19 right now, and 19 is being especially interesting because I'm trying to design it halfway between how it's displayed in Portal and Portal 2. I'd recreate it faithfully to Portal 2's destroyed version, but there are a couple places where the puzzle would become impossible to solve because of the new placement of black vs. white tiles.
It's also really fun to experiment with full-on "cross" styles, that make it almost feel like a completely different game.
You know those hole-in-the-wall lights that you'd see all over the metal walled areas in Portal? I tried a ton of different designs to remake those is a P2-ish style, even tried putting an observation window in front of them to see how it'd look. That much would have been easier if refracting glass textures worked though.

My apologies if you felt obligated to read all that to no avail, I just wanted to speak my mind in a public place. [/rant]

I think this site could benefit from a full aesthetic/functionality overhaul. Like the Black Mesa forums. They had a site overhaul recently and personally I've found the new forum much easier to use.
Plus, I kinda find all this white a little blinding.

based on the dial tones when glados fake calls chell's parents, the number is

ImageImage
===========================
Im blue, a Clean Christian Furry with Autism.

I'm completely stumped by Direct and Redirect, one of Azorae's easiest chambers. I just don't see how it's possible to get the cube onto the button. I might need some professional help but in the mean time I could use a walkthrough.

Dr.Toaster Waffles wrote:
I'm completely stumped by Direct and Redirect, one of Azorae's easiest chambers. I just don't see how it's possible to get the cube onto the button. I might need some professional help but in the mean time I could use a walkthrough.

I think I know the little bit that gets you stumped,

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

As you wished:

pxUal3C4J2k

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Yes, that was it...thanks for the walkthrough!

Guys, look at the impressive work of art by this artist (and Half Life fan) I'm following at Behance:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/25935941/D0g-Half-Life-3

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Well I found this out today.

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/ ... =444660788

"I'm making a test map without game play and sometimes lighting; a proof of concept that nobody will care about until it's in the final map! Better upload it to the workshop and literally waste server space and contribute to the inevitable heat death of the universe!"

*sigh*

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb

Last post 4 days ago
Website officially dead?

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb
PreviousPage 56 of 58Next