Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Off-Topic Thread

PreviousPage 3 of 58Next

do NOT click this
satchmo wrote:
Wow, thanks chickenmobile. From Dust looks like a great game that I can share with my son.

My of the shooting games I play are too violent for him.

[EDIT]: Never mind. From what I read, the game is extremely buggy, and the AI sucks. This reminds me of the original Far Cry. Ubisoft has a propensity of releasing games in their beta stage. Imagine if they release maps like that here. They'd be creamed.

I played Doom when I was 5, and honestly the only thing I was actually scared of was the music. It depends on the person of course, but generally people massively exaggerate the effect of a game's violence.

Salamandra wrote:
I played Doom when I was 5, and honestly the only thing I was actually scared of was the music. It depends on the person of course, but generally people massively exaggerate the effect of a game's violence.

Pft. I went back and played the game recently, and I was surprised at how upbeat and "funky" the music was in contrast with the rest of the game.
I have to wonder what the people worried about its violence would have thought if they had been able to see shooters of today's standard before anything else.

The Off-Topic thread

That's the name I suggested, too.

ImageImageImageImage
NuclearDuckie wrote:
Salamandra wrote:

Pft. I went back and played the game recently, and I was surprised at how upbeat and "funky" the music was in contrast with the rest of the game.
I have to wonder what the people worried about its violence would have thought if they had been able to see shooters of today's standard before anything else.

Some of the tracks are somewhat upbeat certainly, some certainly aren't. Obviously it being scary seems ridiculous now, but that was actually what I was scared by at the time.

Not very upbeat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffl2ShaWyGM
Surprisingly upbeat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWDSvNSzlA

I suppose, if opponents of Doom had seen modern shooters they'd have just freaked out even more unfoundedly than they did before. Opposition probably would have been stronger, so it might have actually had an effect, rather than just ineffectual complaints.

When I was a kid I thought doom was awesome, not scary. We used to go to Dick Smiths (a computer/electrical store) all the time, and knowing how to use DOS, we used to play it on the old machines there. Some people were horrified :lol: kids as young as 6 playing scary voilent video games :O!!
We had our own names for the monsters too. 'Floaty clown', 'scratchy monkeys', 'hoof guy', 'pink pigs', skulls and 'spideroid'.

Also on a side note: We (being my parents) actually bought the Doom 2/3 set and it came with a couple of Doom metal figurines. I heard that they are now pretty expensive, around $100 for the set of 3. Mostly I use it to pop on keys when I need them constantly pressed, seeing as they are pretty heavy.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
chickenmobile wrote:
When I was a kid I thought doom was awesome, not scary.

I thought it was awesome too. I still played it a lot, even if I was scared by the music. I now own Doom 1 & 2 three times (getting them originally, then in an unnecessarily large box called Doom Trilogy (the third thing being master levels of doom, not doom 3 of course), then again when I bought the Doom pack on Steam. Which means I also have Doom 3 twice.

chickenmobile wrote:
Also on a side note: We (being my parents) actually bought the Doom 2/3 set and it came with a couple of Doom metal figurines. I heard that they are now pretty expensive, around $100 for the set of 3. Mostly I use it to pop on keys when I need them constantly pressed, seeing as they are pretty heavy.

Weren't those made in like 1996? Those couldn't have come from a Doom 2/3 set.

Name changed, good call Rubrica. (I stink at names.)

Also

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

lol a name change to the Off-Topic Thread... in the Off-Topic Discussion board...

Thats kinda double :P might as well call it the "Thread that need not be named".

.:: [SP] Lost in Testing :: #1 :: #2 :: #3 :: #4 ::.
PreviousPage 3 of 58Next