Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Enceladus Initiative [MAPPACK/MOD]

Page 1 of 8Next

Hey guys! I think it's time now to share my work with you all. I've decided to open this little thread (my first thread so far) to share the concepts and some preview pictures of this mappack. I didn't like much the idea of posting some pictures there in the Map Showcasing Thread, and I hope to be allowed to do this way by the administrators.

This is intended to be released as a mappack or a mod around July. I think the mod format would fit better for me as I expect to release 6 maps (fairly long) as a bunch at once, but go including more episodes each time (every 5 months or so...). The first episode is called "The Enceladus Initiative"

I must say this is the very first time I map for a game ever! I've been watching tutorials and reading SOOOOOO MUCH in order to approach myself to mapping and the hammer editor. I'm happy with what I've learned so far, and I must admit mapping is right the same funny (or even funnier) as playing the game!! So I hope everything work as I plan and you all like this stuff I'm creating.

Some of you have been already requested to be my beta-testers and some others will, in order to check out for any possible unintended solutions, bugs and such. I really hope the final release will be much a definitive version (... but I know it won't be... hehehe), that's why I'm taking my time...

You'll see I've opted for a personal style rather than sticking to an already existing Portal2 theme. I've done this way, not because I don't love each of the existing ones!, but because many many maps are released each week and all existing themes are to much seen and played already, and as this is a creative tool, I've experimented with the visuals until I'm happy with the style I've made.

I really hope you guys like it as well!!! Some pictures below... Any suggestions, comments or whatever feedback will be much appreciated!!

Updated 2012-06-26 Custom Arrival Elevators:

Updated 2012-06-26 Custom Departure Elevators:

Updated 2012-06-26 Regular cube collection mini-game chamber:

Map n?5 (already completed):

Map n? 3 (already completed):

...More at moddb: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-enceladus-initiative

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Looking splendid!
Unique style but a lovely one!
Keep up the good work, can't wait for a release :)

Looking forward to this, thanks for sharing the screenshots. Good luck!

Ooh! New art style! I'm an instant fan. :thumbup:

Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.

Wow, looks amazing! Did you make the custom textures yourself?

Can't wait to play it!

The water is amazing, just like the custom signage. The textures are also pretty cool. The only thing I'm not particularly fond of is the lighting. In my honest opinion, it's quite bland. I'd try making it seem more dynamic in terms of lighting.

I do however really like the sandy look of it all, and the story is fairly detailed. :thumbup:

PS: Is this just mere co?ncidence or did you reference Halo with the year in the summary of the mod? Either that or I'm just addicted and see this sort of thing everywhere. :O

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maps in Development:
[spoiler]- Penrose 04 (on hold)[/spoiler]

Amazing! I'm hooked! Just a quick question, well... it may be a long one. But, how did you make the custom elevator? I've had some ideas but don't feel like messing around with the entities, did you just copypaste the entities from the elevator and edit them a but into another custom instance? Or did you start from scratch?

Code: Select all<msleeper>: i'm a fat male who gets bored at sporting events

Thanks a lot guys for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Kaleido wrote:
Wow, looks amazing! Did you make the custom textures yourself?

There are many custom materials here. I've made almost all of them. My friend Neco also made some stuff like the slanted supports and the white grates materials. Also one friend of mine here in Spain, Vanessa, is helping me with the signage.

p0rtalplayer wrote:
Ooh! New art style! I'm an instant fan. :thumbup:

Thanks p0rtalplayer! Coming from you it's a real honour. I'm a fan of you since Portal. Check:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

FourthReaper wrote:
The only thing I'm not particularly fond of is the lighting. In my honest opinion, it's quite bland. I'd try making it seem more dynamic in terms of lighting.

Well, I guess lightning and the music will be the last things to tune up before releasing. Anyway, I'm placing like 4-5 env_proj_tex per map!! Don't worry, it'll be good at the end.

Paradoxic R3mix wrote:
did you just copypaste the entities from the elevator and edit them a but into another custom instance? Or did you start from scratch?

Well, I used the instances indeed. It's very complicated at a first time, because there's a high chance that you receive errors in compile constantly, but with patience you'll get it! Basically try to keep the things that are in the center mostly as they are... and change the surrounding stuff

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

I have tested a part of this map this guy is awesome :)

This looks incredible! I really love the feel of the arrival and departure elevator area. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 8Next