Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Telescopic pole thingies

Newbie alert!

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to make the telescopic pole thingies that are underneath the moving platforms (the big extendable steel poles with platforms on the end)

i found the behind the scenes pistons, but they dont look quite right, and I think the pole things are different.

(Offtopic)

Check the avatar gallery for the double-fling avatar to go with your sig.

(/Offtopic)

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Wait for NullSolider to pop in, he figured them out.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
Hober wrote:
(Offtopic)

Check the avatar gallery for the double-fling avatar to go with your sig.

(/Offtopic)

Cool thanks :D

Leck wrote:
Newbie alert!

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to make the telescopic pole thingies that are underneath the moving platforms (the big extendable steel poles with platforms on the end)

i found the behind the scenes pistons, but they dont look quite right, and I think the pole things are different.

they are all brush based. cylinders that decrease in size by 2 units every 128 units or something. then put a nice square block on the top and tie the whole lot to a func_brush.(make in in the fully extended position)

make a brush that is the same height, length and width dont matter too much but keep it close to the size of the func_brush.

tie this new brush to a func_door, give it a name of "platform_1", set delay before reset to "-1", set the move direction to down. and set its flag to start open.

set the func_brush's parent to the same name, "platform_1" or whatever you used.

now make a trigger that closes the func_door (close raises, open lowers(it starts fully lowered))

hope that helps a bit

Thanks, I'll try that.

It's all abunch of parented crap. Looks like this might call for a tutorial on how doors are used in portal to create effects like that. After the contest of course.

Portal: Quest for Cake: 5%
[img]www31.brinkster.com/taob1/Signiture2.bmp[/img]