Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Playing With Spheres

PreviousPage 3 of 3

I can't believe this map is getting so much praise. There's much better maps out there that get way more criticism. This map feels like it was designed by Pee Wee Herman, for Pee Wee Herman. Every time you solve a portion of the test you can't really figure out if that was the intended solution or not. Then you make it to

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
and for some reason you can't pick them up cause that would... make it unfair for the
Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
? I don't know. But you monkey around with them for a while hoping to do whatever it is you're supposed to do with them so you can continue to the next portion of the test but nothing happens so are you supposed to assume that's the end of the test? No idea but that's what I'm doing. This is the kind of test where it seems like the creator didn't care so why should you? Since they didn't care you might as well run on the glass walls, take all the shortcuts, or even noclip straight to the end. Or better yet don't even bother downloading this map and move on to the next one. Or don't even do that much, just stop downloading maps all together. Give up all these pointless dead end distractions, turn off your computer, lie on your bed and quietly await the inevitable extinction of all life on this sad pitiful planet. To put this another way, I didn't care for this test.

Also the fizzlers don't fizzle the edgeless cubes.

Potatoes on Guns:
[spoiler]It was barely funny in single player and even less funny when you do it. Knock it off.[/spoiler]
mouse wrote:
I can't believe this map is getting so much praise.

Keep in mind that this map is from may 2011... that's before the official sdk came out, where maps were very spare. Portal 2 has been out for over a year now and people have been able to learn to map for portal 2 and obviously maps have been becoming better since.

This puzzle got me for quite a while; there are some exploits that can still be fixed and some graphical tweaks but all in all I think it's still a pretty decent map.

lpfreaky90 wrote:
mouse wrote:
I can't believe this map is getting so much praise.

Keep in mind that this map is from may 2011... that's before the official sdk came out, where maps were very spare. Portal 2 has been out for over a year now and people have been able to learn to map for portal 2 and obviously maps have been becoming better since.

A valid point. But consider this. A long time ago doctors used leeches on their patients because they believed there were evil spirits in the blood that were making people sick and if they drained the blood out then the spirits would leave and the person would recover. Looking at those practices now makes people chuckle or maybe shake their head in shame. We naturally grade the past by the standards of the present and honestly why should you do it any other way? That would be going backwards. And even if that wasn't the case, I've seen better maps for Portal 1. But anyways I hope you can see that most of what I said was tongue in cheek.

Potatoes on Guns:
[spoiler]It was barely funny in single player and even less funny when you do it. Knock it off.[/spoiler]

What makes it worse that there's no real ending, I hate this map. Also the fake ending is about 2 jumps from the start.

PreviousPage 3 of 3