Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Science Fair Poster 4 (Spoiler)

PreviousPage 2 of 6Next

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Spoiler

Trivia: this is the very second account I registered with the nickname ASBusinessMagnet, after my YouTube channel.
ASBusinessMagnet wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

You are making an assumption, adding some speculation and then calling it "fact". You're not using the word right.

We don't know what happens in Ep3/HL3. Maybe humans do get wiped out, maybe we win. Maybe we just got our asses kicked, but managed to survive and revert to stone age style life for a while.

Maybe Valve is trying to tell us something by the fact that Portal 2 happens

Spoiler
. Maybe what they're telling us is regardless of what happens in Ep3/HL3 humankind is
Spoiler
?

The only way we can know is to ask them. Which is what that journalist did. Unless you can come up with a credible _source_ stating otherwise, this is the best information we've got.

Player1 wrote:
The only way we can know is to ask them. Which is what that journalist did. Unless you can come up with a credible _source_ stating otherwise, this is the best information we've got.

The World Without Us.

Many things are said, but the main ones are that urbanized areas AND the world wonders couldn't survive for any longer than 500 years.

EDIT: Also,

Player1 wrote:
Maybe we just got our asses kicked, but managed to survive and revert to stone age style life for a while.

Would require biological degradation. We live in 21st century, we (and especially the Resistance, who were put under the pressure of the Combine) have experience on how to rebuild civilization from scratch.

Trivia: this is the very second account I registered with the nickname ASBusinessMagnet, after my YouTube channel.
ASBusinessMagnet wrote:
The World Without Us.

Many things are said, but the main ones are that urbanized areas AND the world wonders couldn't survive for any longer than 500 years.

That book deals with our current world should it suddenly be dereft of humankind. It doesn't really apply to the fictional world in which Aperture Science exists. For one thing an actual sentient AI doesn't actually exist in the real world, nor does a portal gun and a number of other things.

We can certainly agree that unless a structure is built to passively stand the test of time, or actively maintained, it won't last for very long. The salient point here is that the Aperture Science facility is not suddenly devoid of an agent that actively tries to maintain it. As long as the facility has power and raw materials there's nothing to stop it from renewing itself.

Player1 wrote:
Aperture Science facility is not suddenly devoid of an agent that actively tries to maintain it.

Spoiler

ASBusinessMagnet wrote:
Player1 wrote:
Aperture Science facility is not suddenly devoid of an agent that actively tries to maintain it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Guys, it says spoiler in the thread title. You don't need to spoiler every post in here, it's just annoying.

Player1 wrote:
Spoiler

Solar power?

If a solar battery is "maintained" in a sterile room with vacuum inside and glass walls then you are good to go.

EDIT:

A likely conclusion is:

Valve set Portal 2 in the future, possibly long enough for any human alive during Portal 1 to be dead (120+ years), and did not want to disclose the precise time, just as they did with the Black Mesa Incident date.

My impression is that the parts of Aperture Labs fix each other. Unless absolutely everything in Aperture Labs breaks at once or they run out of seemingly limitless resources (listen to the commentary about turret building machines), the building stays in semi-working order.

Hello! This is the part where I kill you!
Nightgunner5 wrote:
My impression is that the parts of Aperture Labs fix each other. Unless absolutely everything in Aperture Labs breaks at once or they run out of seemingly limitless resources (listen to the commentary about turret building machines), the building stays in semi-working order.

There is only one central artificial intelligence, and likely only one central announcement system.

And, on that matter, the Aperture Labs weren't fixed until GLaDOS was turned on.

PreviousPage 2 of 6Next