Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Shmitzchamber

PreviousPage 15 of 16Next
Shmitz wrote:
Understanding the physics involved with a jump/fling is a problem solving skill. Sometimes working it out takes more time and effort than with other puzzles. I understand there comes a point where this time and effort exceeds what a person considers fun. If ten minutes to an hour is too much time, then yes, this map is not for you.

I think you misunderstood AceTracer's complaint. Trajectory puzzles themselves aren't a problem. They're a novel take on the usual flinging puzzles. But the puzzles in this chamber are designed in such a way that their solutions are more dependent on reflexes and luck than actual thinking (with portals). They are "Nintendo hard," and not in a complimentary sense.

Now, the first stage of your map is just fine. Once the player figures out the secret, all she has to do is execute

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
. But the flinging puzzle in the second stage is a lot more frustrating. Once the player figures out the secret, she still needs l33t sn1p3r sk1llz in order to actually execute the fling.
Spoiler
And if at first you don't succeed, your only option is to keep trying until you pass out from thirst.

Hunter wrote:
But the puzzles in this chamber are designed in such a way that their solutions are more dependent on reflexes and luck than actual thinking (with portals). They are "Nintendo hard," and not in a complimentary sense.

As this indeed is a long thread I feel compelled to write this: I had the same experience with the map initially. I felt that luck and randomness was a huge factor in this map.

It is true that this map is heavy on "execution" compared to normal Portal maps. But then this map was explicitly developed that way and the notes next to the download states this very clearly.

As I worked on the map out of sheer determination to do speed runs I really learned to love it. There is almost no randomness in it; the only places still truly bound by randomness is the speed run shortcuts (and again it is actually more bound by execution but when hitting a portal at the right spot with only a couple of frames to do so then that does become somewhat random).

If you just want to complete the map that is perfectly doable without any randomness at all. It is just so very very much harder than anything else out there that it at first seems like a bad map.

Spoiler

When I first played the map I the flings seemed to be pretty much impossible, but after getting better with reflexes and everything, they are all repeatable.

Anyway I recently decided to try out some recording, and while the quality of the movies is bad (even for youtube :cry:) the content might make up for it:
Shmitzchamber in 22 portals
Shmitzchamber in 85 steps

Player1 wrote:
It is true that this map is heavy on "execution" compared to normal Portal maps. But then this map was explicitly developed that way and the notes next to the download states this very clearly.

Right. Again, I was just trying to clear up AceTracer's original complaint. Personally, I don't like "twitchy" Portal maps either. But upon watching your speedrun, it seems that I overestimated the twitchiness of this map. Your flings require no more dexterity than, say, the last part of Chamber 18. (I'm new to the forum: is there an official slang term for that type of portal leapfrogging?) The problem is just that I was trying to do the wrong type of fling. So I guess this map isn't half bad. :)

Jaso wrote:
Anyway I recently decided to try out some recording, and while the quality of the movies is bad (even for youtube :cry:) the content might make up for it:
Shmitzchamber in 22 portals
Shmitzchamber in 85 steps

Both worth watching. As for the quality: have you tried fraps? Demo recordings makes eyes hurt!

With Fraps running, Portal lags too much to be decently playable on my computer. I used Fraps to record the demos afterwards.
Any advice how to get get better quality while being able to play would be nice ;)

Lowering your video settings, texture detail, anti aliasing, and resolution are the easiest way to do it.

Then there's the more expensive, but more shiny option of upgrading the video card in your computer.

Also, whenever I record with fraps, I make sure it's set to half size, and 20 frames per second.

hmm I play with the lowest settings anyway, I guess I just need an upgrade in the near future :/

Lorithad wrote:
Then there's the more expensive, but more shiny option of upgrading the video card in your computer.

Also, whenever I record with fraps, I make sure it's set to half size, and 20 frames per second.

My experience with fraps is that the graphics card and graphics settings doesn't really matter that much. Most of what fraps does is in CPU so the only heavy thing is the framegrabbing and compression (and to a lesser extent the disk-writing). On a multi-core system you can fraps pretty well. In general it will follow your normal in-game fps, only slightly lower.

I used to do 840x525x30 fps fraps in my WoW days on an older system (not really sure of the specs, but the graphics card wasnt that hot) and in general it could keep up except deep in the end-game raid-zones where my computer generally couldn't keep up (I got 20-ish fps playing Kel'Thuzad and 17-ish when frapsing). On my new rig I can fraps comfortably in 1680x1050x30 fps in all games (except Crysis). This is a core2duo 3GHz thingy with an 8800-something card.

Anyways all this doesn't really matter of course if you can't make it work playable for you. If you have a system with more than one physical hard drive I'd suggest trying to fraps away from the system drive. Other than that try fiddling with fraps settings regarding resolution and fps. It's my feeling that if you can get fraps to record the playback of a demo you should be able to get it to work to a degree where you can do it while playing.

It is an awesome map, it serves it's purpose; to give that extra stuff that an "advanced" player want, I burned all of my thinking caps.

However, though it is challenging and fun it is too unforgiving: fall down, die, do all over again or load the save point, just like someone else said before me. It is intended for players with some level of skill but the obstacles tend to be solved by iterations and became tiresome, the actions that some of the buttons were not so immeaditely recognisable and the the use of trajectory could have used some training, the first obstacle involves too many new concepts and skills at once, it is my opinion that those concepts had to be presented with a least complex obstacle.

Awesome map either way, I'm looking forward to what I can learn next and what are you going to come up with.

PreviousPage 15 of 16Next