Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] rmaze1 2 Part Maze

Page 1 of 2Next

So, that went well. Congratulations, mazk1985. I wish I could have offered some stiffer competition.

Now that the contest is over I'd like to get some feedback on the randomized maze idea with an eye towards turning it into a full fledged map. I'm also fishing to see if there is any interest in adding bonus challenges to the existing rmaze1, plotting more solutions to the second half, and putting a BTS control room at the start that allows you to select specific mazes.

First off, a bit about the map.

Random elements can be added to a map generically by using a logic_case entity and sending it the target input "pickrandom."

This random maze was made using a number of chambers that had multiple connections. Various connections were blocked off using entities that could be killed/toggled/opened/etc. Each entity was assigned a different name (I like to use a simple coordinate system), and just those entities required to navigate the maze and create a few loops and dead ends were opened (I chose func_brush entities and set their target inputs to "kill" since they weren't going to be reused.)

Although there is probably a way to generate truly random solutions, I went with the easier method of plotting by hand a number of different mazes and programming them into a series of logic_relays that the logic_case can choose from. A logic_case can pick between 16 choices, but you can choose from more with multiple logic_case entities.

The most difficult part of the process was creating the architecture of the maze itself. Hedge style mazes are fairly easy, but portal mazes have to be designed carefully to prevent the player from thinking outside the box, so to speak. The line of sight nature of the portal gun makes it hard to let the player know where the ending is or even view the map without using lots of transparent materials, and those can quickly lead to high poly counts. You also have to keep the map simple enough for the player to navigate and for the designer to plot solutions. I made a test version that worked in three dimensions, but found it almost impossible to orient myself (I'm still working on it), and for the 2D release I read a number of complaints from players who became frustrated because they got lost.

Incidentally, the secret of navigating the second part of the maze is
    Spoiler
    Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
    That's why I think a time challenge might be interesting to play. A portal challenge for this map seems dull, and steps challenges in mostly-metal maps just annoy me on general principle.

So, where to go from here.

First, I read a general dislike for this maze-only style of map. Definitely add some other gameplay elements. I have a hazy idea for a maze made of portal cleansers that you have to carry a cube through, for instance. We'll see how the alpha looks.

Second, more visibility. Maybe simpler architecture, maybe smaller maps, but the player has to be able to easily figure out where they are and where they are going. An earlier version had light strips, but they weren't much help; maybe little street signs. :arrow:

Third, less repetition. Easily done with a little time and forethought.

I can tell that a lot of thought and work went into this map, and the idea of having a dynamically generated map is quite unique. When the community played this map they didn't appreciate this fully and probably wanted it to be more fun than purely innovative. I admit when I played through the map I found it frustrating to get through the second part and didn't actually realise until I finished it that the maze was being randomly generated.

I think that the TWP community was brutally honest in what they thought of the map and looking at the votes you probably deserved more, though I'm glad you're going to further develop the maze idea based on the small amount of feedback you received.

My Feedback
The second part of the map is quite claustrophobic and there are only very limited areas in which you can place portals. I find with map design the less you restrict the player the more varied and fun the map becomes. The nature of a maze is that it is restrictive but you could balance this out with randomly selected areas that are more open and have more portable concrete in them. Also just the areas of the maze themselves could be made bigger so the player has some space to explore and move around.
You spoke of a 3d version but said it was difficult to orient yourself. Sometimes loss of orientation can be a valuable gameplay tool but if used too much it reduces the fun of the map. You could make the 3d maze out of randomly selected modules that are stacked on top of each other. I hope you continue to work on a 3d version.

It'll be great to see this unique idea of dynamically created maps further developed, I look forward to playing more of your maps!

I haven't actually played the map but OMG I'm such a fan of random maps. Even if the ones it generates aren't that great, the thought of never running out of maps makes my pants happy. When I found the Doom random map maker I thought I was in heaven.

That being said, please please PLEASE continue work on this brilliant concept (and perhaps you could consider releasing it as a BMZ when you're done? That's your call, just a thought :D )

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm almost done with a challenges version of rmaze1. I just got the game stats to display correctly at the end. All that's left is to finalize the numbers.

I think then I'm going to move on to the next project rather than expand the maze. Working on challenges has given me a few ideas on ways that randomization can be used to test reaction time. I'm still testing various existing game elements to see what works, but it is probably going to focus on flings.

as long as its not a cramped hedge style maze i really like the idea of randomizatin. and to implement challenges to it.. would be a really good idea.. instead of just playing the same area over and over and learning every glitch/quick path etc your challenge results would be more based on your quick reflexes and puzzle solving skills...

do NOT click this

EDIT Whoops I'm a moron.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
EDIT Whoops I'm a moron.

i agree... but what happened?

do NOT click this

I made a post and linked every single word to a Wikipedia article but then realized it made me look like a tard because I'm not Hober.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

since i'm not hober do i look like a tard when i do that? (though i bounce between WikiPedia, EncyclopediaDramatica, and UrbanDictionary)

do NOT click this

In before the lock.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Page 1 of 2Next