Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Origin of symmetry

Page 1 of 2Next

Hello !

I am glad to present you my really first map with Hammer !
I have been playing portal for a long and I finally decided to start mapping. Here you are. The (only) puzzle of this map is short and simple. I promess my next map will really make you thinking with portals !

Sorry for my bad english (i am french) and thank you for any suggestions !

[img]http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/8731/originofsymmetryvh0.th.png[/img]

Download here

I was gonna say that it looks amazing for a beginer, but then I saw you used prefabs.

NEVER, EVER, EVAR EVAR USE PREFABS, THAT YOU DIDN'T CREATE!!!!!
YOU DON'T LEARN ANYTHING FROM THEM, AND THEY WONT HELP YOU IF YOU NEED TO MAKE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THERE!!!!!
SO DON'T BE LAZY, OR IGNORANT OF THIS WARNING. PREFABS BRING PAIN, AND SUFFERING, AND... PAIN..... YEA..
Sorry for all caps, but I wanted my point across. Just talk to MrTwoVideoCards about what he thinks of prefabs.

EDIT: *under block of text, lies crused hope.*
Good stuff I see in the screenshot. You used snap to grid. I think. If you did, than you are lightyears ahead from some of the "superawsomecrazyfunmapackmap"s that I've seen by beginners. Good Job!
Bad stuffs. Please, don't use that one light in the room method again. ever evur.

Please post screen shots.

Fullbright is full and bright.

Useful feedback might be more helpful.

"I see you used fullbright. The proper way to remedy this is..." and then maybe a link to somewhere helpful.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
dvlstx wrote:
NEVER, EVER, EVAR EVAR USE PREFABS, THAT YOU DIDN'T CREATE!!!!!
YOU DON'T LEARN ANYTHING FROM THEM, AND THEY WONT HELP YOU IF YOU NEED TO MAKE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THERE!!!!!
SO DON'T BE LAZY, OR IGNORANT OF THIS WARNING. PREFABS BRING PAIN, AND SUFFERING, AND... PAIN..... YEA..

In the most part, this is bollocks. Of course don't use prefabs while you're learning the fundamentals - you really will learn nothing and it'll make everything harder.
BUT, once you know your way around hammer WELL I really don't see the objection - if they work fine, and save time, what's the problem?
And also, of course they won't help you make something that isn't there. Isn't that sort of the point? To quickly replicate existing structures? But as long as you know your way around hammer then you can surely just create it from scratch.

Nice map of a beginner. . Lets go over the pros and cons!
Pros

-The map was a good map for a beginner... Better then my first maps. :P
-Was challenging but not hard. .

Cons
-No Cubemaps are built or put in!
-Lighting. . . . One light bulb set to 800 never works..
-Indicators?
-No clues. Even for a map this simple needs clues. . Try texturing!

Quote:
In the most part, this is bollocks. Of course don't use prefabs while you're learning the fundamentals - you really will learn nothing and it'll make everything harder.
BUT, once you know your way around hammer WELL I really don't see the objection - if they work fine, and save time, what's the problem?

Bingo.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.
Duffedwaffe wrote:

:wut: :potd:

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.
Duffedwaffe wrote:

Interesting, fact, but as I have read along with the screenshot, there is just a bright light (I can see some shadows).

I don't lag, I own so much it takes a few seconds for the server to figure out what the hell I just did.

Yeah I don't think it is fullbright, just very bland lighting.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
Page 1 of 2Next