Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] New music for Portal (updated: 11/23/2007)

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next

The last three were good, but the two more silent ones were missing something...

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.
Crooked Paul wrote:
My old favorite title, "Don't Talk About Portal Club," has been replaced by "They Should Have Sent a Theoretical Physicist..."

m/ Rock. m/
"...Some celestial event. No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry. They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea. " - Contact

Crooked Paul wrote:
Dude, you go ahead and blah blah blah all you want. I love your titles. They fit the game, and they describe the mood of each track. For me, that makes the songs more memorable.

Haha, thanks. At that point I wasn't sure if people were still interested in more music and the descriptions or if my ideas were going downhill. :P

espen180 wrote:
The last three were good, but the two more silent ones were missing something...

Custom maps. ;)

But yeah, they are a bit dull. I think they could work though if used in the right situation. Like, more-story-less-puzzle situations, possibly in between two test chambers. Glados could say something particularly mean and then all ambient sound could fade out while the music fades in for some epic effect as you make your way through some grungy corridors and air vents before arriving at the next chamber. *shrug* :)

Oh and once again, I'll take any suggestions or direction. If you think some more rhythm driven music would be a good idea I can look into making some of that.

I'd like a piece of music that says: "I don't think I should be here". Music that makes you feel unwelcome.

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.

I adore this entire soundtrack.

I'm pretty certain if/when I end up making levels, I'll be borrowing some of these, with due credit of course.

I've been listening to this stuff on repeat for about the past week or so.

Love love love it.

Great! Terribly Great!

The only thing I might have to say is that all music seems a bit... tragic. There isn't really a "happier" track, like Subject Name Here.

Next to that, this is really music you can only use as ambience, no real action songs like You Are Not Supposed To Be Here in HL2, though that's of course obsolete in Portal since the lack of real action. And because of that, action songs aren't really necesery, may only be an idea to create one in the occasion a Portal-mapper wants to create an action scene.

Anyway, I've already found some tracks I might be interested in using. Do you mind if I use your music for SkyLabs (see link in signature)?

"Duct Tape is the answer."
Ricotez wrote:
...Next to that, this is really music you can only use as ambience, no real action songs like You Are Not Supposed To Be Here in HL2, though that's of course obsolete in Portal since the lack of real action...

What about 4000 degrees kelvin?

Ricotez wrote:
...of course obsolete in Portal since the lack of real action.

lack of action? have you tried career or career2? have you tried hetzchase_nailway?

don't any of the turret ambushes in L19 count for anything?

of course there's action. there are plenty of turret ambushes, and when done right with music, like in hetzchase nailway, its superb.

gotta have the right music, though.

--

The cake is a PI

--

Add me on STEAM: iamafractal
I'm up for coop games & beta testing your maps...

--

Well, I ment real action. I mean, an android remains stationary, it's not gonna chase you. Of course there's action in Portal, both in the game itself and in the custom maps, but not like in HL2. Maybe I explained myself wrong... don't think I have any offence against Portal! It's a puzzlegame, and that's exactly what it does. It has the correct amount of action, and I don't strave for more. I was only making suggestions.

Ricotez wrote:
Well, I ment real action. I mean, an android remains stationary, it's not gonna chase you. Of course there's action in Portal, both in the game itself and in the custom maps, but not like in HL2. Maybe I explained myself wrong... don't think I have any offence against Portal! It's a puzzlegame, and that's exactly what it does. It has the correct amount of action, and I don't strave for more. I was only making suggestions.

try those maps. it is perfectly possible to put turrets on moving platforms or hide them behind doors that open. try shmitzchamber 1, and tell me if dramatic music is not appropriate when you are suddenly ambushed.

--

The cake is a PI

--

Add me on STEAM: iamafractal
I'm up for coop games & beta testing your maps...

--

Okay, appearantly I made a statement that either:

1) Is not understood by anyone
2) Is not understood by myself

Anyway, forget my earlier two posts... they're nonsense, I think...

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next