Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] New music for Portal (updated: 11/23/2007)

Page 1 of 5Next

This thread is about Portal-inspired background music that can be used in your custom maps.

So far today I have made six tracks and I plan on making some more this weekend. If you have any requests or suggestions for new tracks I'll take them into account - such as if you want a song to be faster, have a beat, be distorted, be more melodic, be more or less droning, sound like a corporate product video, be happy(?!) or whatever else you can think of.

The music in Portal was extremely sparse, often only one sound, as it was simply for setting the mood. With that in mind I have tried to do a bit more (omg, two sounds at the same time? poppycock!).

Feel free to use the music in your Portal maps. Please credit the music to The Hamster Alliance. :)

Here's the music::

All 15 songs in one RAR file: dload.php?action=file&file_id=111

1. Lost Chambers - deep drone / hollow melody / synthetic strings

2. Full-Time Employee - undulating bass / dark swirling saw synth

3. Required Test Protocol - Repetitious synth hit / steady clicking / mangled GLaDOS voice ambience / deep bass swell

4. Where Am I? - twofer: part 1: "servo-like" synth / heartbeat / ambiance - part 2: calming synth strings / pulsating bass / distorted drums

5. System Error - loud droning bass / swirling ambiance / glitches

6. High-Energy Pellet - nostalgic "science-video" synth / no melody / undulating "electric hum" bass

- Updated 11/18/2007 -

7. It's The Future - really short / retro-futuristic glistening of wonderment. wow...look at all this science...this is the future.

8. Don't Talk About Portal Club - Fight Club style / Super-Deep Bass / minimalistic analog beat / wandering synth lead

9. Live Fire - Action-Packed music good for timed-goals and lots of turrets in a room / cinematic while still being minimal and mostly percussionless.

- Updated 11/22/2007 -

10. The Cake Is A Lie - Sad swelling melodies / melancholy atmosphere / pumping bass

11. Endless Chamber - Drone zone (no real melody) / Steady pulsating bass / minimalistic madness floating about.

12. Stress Free Environment - Synthetic-Mechanical atmosphere / static / a kind of industrial factory vibe...pumps, pistons and other machinery.

- Updated 11/23/2007 -

13. They Should Have Sent A Theoretical Physicist... - This is a pretty "look at all this science" one / very cinematic / epic boom drum / buzzy bass / Cascading synth string melody

14. Tunneling Deeper - Deep dark atmosphere. This one's extremely sparse. Sounds almost like the swelling of a ship with a sci-fi element.

15. Contemplation In Silence - machinery hum / very melancholy melody

Let me know what you think.

I totally dig it. Great map pack material.

brilliant!

I'm sure to credit you if I use one of your tunes, you should request that of people who use your stuff :P

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]
Artesia wrote:
brilliant!

I'm sure to credit you if I use one of your tunes, you should request that of people who use your stuff :P

Haha, yeah - I just updated the wording in my original post. Not sure why I stated it as a suggestion rather than a requirement the first time, I never do that! :D

We should agree to place those music files in the same folder. It wouldn't be good that the same music in placed in 15 different folders depending of the author.

Where Am I? is my favourite.

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).

Awesome work, man. Just awesome.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

System error sounds very right for me. Well, it depends on if your music can compare with the works of Irrational Games or Looking Glass Studios. :)

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.

Bravo, I really like it :)

Companion Cube Chronicles WIP:
Story: 22.22222% Design: 33.33333%
Levels: 4.44444% Cake: 0.00000%
Voices: 0.0^3% in base 4
New models & Textures: ((e^28/pi*7)/0 - 42)%
Grief counseling: 111.11111%

May I suggest releasing the tunes under one of the official Creative Commons licenses? It would surely help everyone, both in terms of making sure the license is unambiguous and providing further exposure for you and your work. The tunes are quite nice, and the sound fits great with the overall feel of Portal.

Edit: Oh yeah! One kind of tune which seems to be missing is some sort of "high tension" tune like 4000 Degrees Kelvin. The kind of tune that really accentuates that feeling of "oh shit oh shit oh shit I'm so screwed".

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!
Korjagun wrote:
May I suggest releasing the tunes under one of the official Creative Commons licenses? It would surely help everyone, both in terms of making sure the license is unambiguous and providing further exposure for you and your work. The tunes are quite nice, and the sound fits great with the overall feel of Portal.

All of my work is under a Creative Commons license - check my homepage. :D

I've done a blanket registration for all music by THA.

espen180 wrote:
System error sounds very right for me. Well, it depends on if your music can compare with the works of Irrational Games or Looking Glass Studios. :)

oh noes, comparisons! :P

Page 1 of 5Next