Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] BoxyTrixy!

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

I know this is going to sound repetitive but: wow. This map is a real mind bender. At several points I had a very strong urge to give up and watch the spoiler videos, but I managed it on my own eventually.

I especially like how you have to

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
Its like you designed these puzzles by predicting what solution people would think of initially and then make the real solution something completely different.

Glovis wrote:
[...]Ya, I'll admit it doesn't quite have the degree of visual decoration as some maps.[...]

It's mostly a matter of taste whether to add lots of detail or not, as long as it looks decent. (No texture misalignment or invisible point lights etc.) Your design looks solid and unique. There are only a few glitches which I would fix if it were my map:

• You should make a 32 x 32 hole behind the ball catcher, so it looks correctly in the retracted position. Right now the thing just disappears into the wall.
  • Pay some more attention to the placement of props in general and the geometry around them. For example, the fizzlers in the third room are a bit wider than the window frame and there is a little patch of tiled floor visible under the big red buttons. (The floor intersects the button base.)

Other than that: good job! I hope to see more of your work in the future. :D

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
Glovis wrote:
Um, so when does this get moved to "Community Releases" forum?
and why do we have to post releases here first, anyway?

You aren't supposed to post them here at all.

They are supposed to be posted at community releases so it will be updated to the list on the home page

hanging_rope wrote:
You aren't supposed to post them here at all.

They are supposed to be posted at community releases so it will be updated to the list on the home page

Go make a post on the Community Releases forum, I dare you.

forum police... :roll:

How did I know that I was going to be completely wrong...
Well, it seems all the moderator's have died, so there is not much chance of it being moved (even if it was the best map ever)

LOL :D HangingRope, wrong again.

Mr. again, actually putting portalable surfaces on the far wall was a last minute change, and I didn't realize that it created that new solution until I released the map :( Too late! But there's another, much less elegant solution than mine or yours where you don't have to

Spoiler
Anyway, I'm glad some of the puzzles hit the brain-bending-but not-impossible sweetspot.

HMW,

Quote:
Its like you designed these puzzles by predicting what solution people would think of initially and then make the real solution something completely different.

That was definitely true with the first box and the final puzzle.

Spoiler

And speaking of brain-bending...

You guys should try the game "Braid".
While Portal is a game that looks like a FPS, but is actually a puzzle game that bends the rules of space,
Braid is a game that looks like a classic platformer, but is actually a puzzle game that bends the rules of time. Seems like the kind of game portalers would like.

Really well designed puzzels! Some of the solutions might have been a little too far-fetched for me though, but I maged to solve them myself except the one where you get to the last room. I never realized that

Spoiler

again wrote:
[...]
i also had to use hint #4, i had a totally different solution in mind:
Spoiler

[...]

I actually solved it this way. :P

I solved the puzzle in the last room differently too.

Spoiler

And one last thing; the autosave when you just got the second cube were triggered when I accidently fell through the portal. Everytime the autosave was loaded, I inevitability fell into the toxic liquid and died.

Glovis wrote:
LOL :D HangingRope, wrong again.

I also thought that would happen...Stupid forums...

Aldez, looks like you like doing everything the hard way :)
And sorry for the autosave fiasco!

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next