Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Aldéz's Test Chamber

Page 1 of 5Next

This is my first and only bonus map for Portal. My goal wasn't to make a challenging map, but to make a map that covers many of the basic elements of Portal. I hope you enjoy it nevertheless. Another version of it was an entry in the February contest. In this version I've fixed a lot of minor bugs and hopefully got rid of all exploits. The map is embedded in a bmz file and it includes the least portals/steps/time challenges.

Looking forward to see if you can beat my records (which are the gold challenges). :P

Download

Screenshots (click to enlarge)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

oh you complete it?
Great! i try it this night ^^

PD: in the other post i had a other problem... Regards and Congratulations

How come in the second to last picture, the Exit sign is flipped, but normal in the others. Can't wait to try it!

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.
Ald?z wrote:
:blah: and hopefully got rid of all exploits. :blah:

lol ahhww :( we'll lets see if i can scramble the new one :oops:

do NOT click this
rellikpd wrote:
lol ahhww :( we'll lets see if i can scramble the new one :oops:

Hehe, waiting with expectation. Good luck... not! :P

reepblue wrote:
How come in the second to last picture, the Exit sign is flipped, but normal in the others. Can't wait to try it!

Talk about nit-picking. The texture is probably world-oriented. But, to my defence, I can say that the guy on the sign is running towards the exit on both signs.

Ald?z wrote:
Talk about nit-picking. The texture is probably world-oriented. But, to my defence, I can say that the guy on the sign is running towards the exit on both signs.

Heh, sorry. I seen many maps that have details flipped side.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.

Well done. One thing I noticed with this map is that it looks good... very good. In some places the HDR is a little bit overexposed but besides that it looks like a professional test chamber.

Being a companion cube map I was probably expecting more interaction with the cube, i.e. using the cube to solve puzzles. The only real use of the cube was the button at the beginning and after that it was just a burden to have to bring it through the rest of the puzzles.

I understand this map is designed to be easy but I didn't find the puzzles all that fun, probably because with the tons of custom maps out there that are all fairly similar someone needs to do something pretty innovative for me to still have fun. Also the map was shorter than I expected.

From what I remember the February mapping contest was for best looking map and for that purpose your map is really great. For that reason it makes sense why you have chosen looks over gameplay.

Hopefully you'll reconsider this being your only bonus map for Portal and make some others!

Did you add a BTS section for this release, or did I just miss it in the earlier version :oops:

I don't lag, I own so much it takes a few seconds for the server to figure out what the hell I just did.
reepblue wrote:
Heh, sorry. I seen many maps that have details flipped side.

Hehe, never mind, I'm a sort of a perfectionist myself. :wink:

Fusion wrote:
Well done. One thing I noticed with this map is that it looks good... very good. In some places the HDR is a little bit overexposed but besides that it looks like a professional test chamber.

Being a companion cube map I was probably expecting more interaction with the cube, i.e. using the cube to solve puzzles. The only real use of the cube was the button at the beginning and after that it was just a burden to have to bring it through the rest of the puzzles.

I understand this map is designed to be easy but I didn't find the puzzles all that fun, probably because with the tons of custom maps out there that are all fairly similar someone needs to do something pretty innovative for me to still have fun. Also the map was shorter than I expected.

From what I remember the February mapping contest was for best looking map and for that purpose your map is really great. For that reason it makes sense why you have chosen looks over gameplay.

Hopefully you'll reconsider this being your only bonus map for Portal and make some others!

Thank you! This isn't my last map for sure. And yeah, the puzzels aren't great, but as I said, this is my first map for Portal, so it was only a test (thereby its name). I have some new ideas for my next map I havn't seen in any other so far.

appunxintator wrote:
Did you add a BTS section for this release, or did I just miss it in the earlier version :oops:

You missed it.

well i broke your least portals :P (which is the only challenges i really care about lol) i will try to go play the least time and steps challenges after i post this. and after that try to shave atleast 1 more portal off of my record :P
[img]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4233/testchamber0003uv2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5554/snapshot0004mn5.jpg[/img]

ALSO some notes:
its possible to get stuck in the

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

i mean you would have to try to get stuck there on purpose. but it IS possible.

i have some other things i'm thinking are possible to "break" with your map and i'm gunna go test them out. will let you know.

do NOT click this
Page 1 of 5Next