Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Aldéz's Portal Prefabs

PreviousPage 3 of 7Next

Ah ok Ald?z. I`m not have tiem to test all :P
Then... the elevators prefab go to up and down? OMG!
If you dont live far away I promise, I invite to beer jajaja.

Continue! And thanks for all.

PD: The dynamic stairs is a great idea. Maybe... a water poison, a glados... no that not jaja. I have hope in you. Regards

How about a Box Dropper?
...oh, already in there

How about a Portal Fizzler?
...oh, also already in there.

How about... hmm... a hallway arch?
...jeepers, also already in there!?

OMG, you've prefabbed about everything any self-respecting portal mapper should ever need! Thank you a hundred thousand times!

"Duct Tape is the answer."

Question: why are the 'backs' of the brushes textured in the thumbnail pics? are they in the prefab pack too?

if so, be ashamed! what bad mapping practice! you should always nodraw any brush face that can't be seen by the player

What about a rotating portal gun? Did he miss that?

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.
youme wrote:
you should always nodraw any brush face that can't be seen by the player

Actually, any face that is completely covered by world brushes and/or faces the void is automatically culled and not rendered.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

still, its bad practice

youme wrote:
still, its bad practice

Can you explain why? I think it's easier to navigate through the map in Hammer when I can see what texture it is on the other side. On the other hand, I can see the benefits of having nodraw on the outside. But, IMO, the work needed to do that doesn't pay off enough.

reepblue wrote:
What about a rotating portal gun? Did he miss that?

Nope

Ricotez wrote:
How about a Box Dropper?
...oh, already in there

How about a Portal Fizzler?
...oh, also already in there.

How about... hmm... a hallway arch?
...jeepers, also already in there!?

OMG, you've prefabbed about everything any self-respecting portal mapper should ever need! Thank you a hundred thousand times!

lol

Ald?z wrote:
Can you explain why? I think it's easier to navigate through the map in Hammer when I can see what texture it is on the other side. On the other hand, I can see the benefits of having nodraw on the outside. But, IMO, the work needed to do that doesn't pay off enough.

If you put nodraw on places the player can't see, it will increase performance by making the map a lot smoother to run. It is very important to do so.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.
reepblue wrote:
If you put nodraw on places the player can't see, it will increase performance by making the map a lot smoother to run. It is very important to do so.

This is the most bullshit explaination. You didn't tell him why, you just told him you should.

The REAL reason is because any face with the nodraw texture is not rendered by the engine, and therefore there are less things for the rendering engine to consider in any given PVS. The reason it's not necessary to do this on any face that is covered completely by world brushes and/or facing the void, is because vbsp automatically culls the face for you as if you had places nodraw on it.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

yeh basically what msleeper said, if you rely too heavily on the features that remove those faces you will probablyend up missing one that wont be removed but needs to be a nodraw to prevent it rendering.

PreviousPage 3 of 7Next