Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Quark by Omnicoder - myApertureLabs Contest #3 Winner

Page 1 of 3Next

Congratulations to Omnicoder for winning the most recent contest over at myApertureLabs! Quark has been our Community Spotlight for a week or so now, but in light of being the contest winner I'm going to keep it up as the Spotlight for another week.

Go download it and give it a try, it's definitely a great map.

Download Quark by Omnicoder.

Also, be on the lookout for a contest from ThinkingWithPortals, sponsored by F7Lans! We will be having several huge prizes, including cash and Steam Gifts.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I wish i could map...

Portal RE-WINDED
SL89 wrote:
I wish i could map...

It's not that difficult. Just read some tutorials on Hammer and dive in.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Do the contests have any sort of theme? and what decides the winner?

Portal 1.5 http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-15
yohoat9 wrote:
Do the contests have any sort of theme? and what decides the winner?

Well, here is the winner thread over at their website. They have a judging system, but I don't really know anything beyond what it says there at face value. I'm sure someone can shed some light on it though.

This contest was the first to use a new judging system so it's not perfectly calibrated yet, but the basic idea was that you got points for custom textures, models, using turrets, having outdoor areas and other criteria like that, and whoever had the highest rating got points for that as well.

msleeper wrote:
SL89 wrote:
I wish i could map...

It's not that difficult. Just read some tutorials on Hammer and dive in.

Yes, it is that hard. You see, I don't have hammer or steam

Portal RE-WINDED

Steam is free, Hammer comes with any Source game. Which is also free, since Alien Swarm is free and runs on Source. It's not Portal, but you can definitely map with it.

I think the judging system was a little harsh on map filesize...I got 100 points off cause my map was 22 mb :roll:

Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.

Yeah I thought that was a little crazy. This isn't 1999, we aren't on dial up anymore, who cares about file size.

Page 1 of 3Next