Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Possible to implement Sprinting in Portal?

I'll tell you guys, I'm really missing the Half-Life-2-style sprint on some of these larger maps. Is there a way we could get the sprint up and running (sorry, had to) in Portal without cheating? It doesn't have to do the whole "aux power" drain/regenerate thing -- I just want to press a button and run faster sometimes.

I tried binding a key to +speed, the way it is in HL2, but that didn't do anything. I also messed around with some cvars like cl_forwardspeed, gave it all kinds of wacky values, and didn't notice any effect. (Tried with cheats on and cheats off.)

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get this to work?

Cr00ked.

I just jump a lot when I have to run long distances that can not be traversed via portals.

Sprint works fine for me in Portal, if I use +speed. You have to equip the HEV suit though. Did you try this?

*Edit:
Just noticed that you said without cheats. I'm not sure in that case. :? If you are building maps you can add a suit to achieve this, but on pre-existing maps you may have to cheat to be able to sprint.

I can certainly sympathize with the idea. However, I have to wonder how many puzzles it would break if you could sprint jump over gaps you normally wouldn't be able to, or sprint jump through portals...

I'm with Shmitz on this...

Still, not to say you can't throw a hazard suit in on new maps and make puzzles that need sprinting... could be fun.

Yeah, you guys are right. It would definitely break some maps.

I guess I'll just cheat and get an HEV suit when I really want a sprint. Does anyone know offhand the console command to get the suit?

Cr00ked.

"give item_suit" I think, not sure if that is the right entity name.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

The sprint function would have been removed, but if you use the command msleeper suggested then it gives you the hud from half-life 2 as the health / armor bars.

I just tried it out, and "give item_suit" worked (with cheats on, of course). Sprint works. Yay! And it shows your health in the lower-right, so after you take some slugs from a turret you can watch it zip back up to 100.

But the flashlight doesn't work, which is odd.

Cr00ked.

a VERY long time late, but the command is impulse 101