Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portals on all surfaces?

Is anyone else having this problem? It seems like it is related to a recent update or something, since surfaces that once were unable to have portals placed on them now are able to. I even tried vmex'ing some of the original maps and recompiling them, with no luck and still portals on metal, etc.

If you're NOT having this problem, back up your SDK files right now! You might be the last hope until the SDK is fully updated!

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

All I know is glass textures can't be placed with Portals. Not tried making the metal texture before I got rid of my config.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

only thing I can think of is it bein a result from converting the vtf from 7.3 to 7.2.

7.3 likely has addition info for portal creation.

Glass works only because its transparent, its not the texture working as it is the portal being programed not to apply to it. Only thing I can think of.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]
Quote:
There is a material property to specify which walls cannot be "portalled" but it does not work right now, you will have to use the brush-based entity func_noportal_volume as a workaround untill a new compiler is released.

Retrieved from http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Portal

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Artesia wrote:
Glass works only because its transparent, its not the texture working as it is the portal being programed not to apply to it. Only thing I can think of.

Then wouldnt the Portal be programmed to work on certain surfaces to? Such as the metal textures.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Hober wrote:
Quote:
There is a material property to specify which walls cannot be "portalled" but it does not work right now, you will have to use the brush-based entity func_noportal_volume as a workaround untill a new compiler is released.

Retrieved from http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Portal

Yeah I remember seeing that also, but that doesn't make sense unless there was a ninja SDK update, since I made a map a few days ago and could not place portals on metal there either.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I thought I fixed it at one time too sleeper, but it turned out the wall had a prop too close so there was no room for the portal

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]