Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal-reflecting sufaces?

Page 1 of 2Next

Would it be possible to create surfaces that reflect portals, making them hit another place as if the shot bounces of the wall?
It believe it would enable very innovative and creative puzzles :P

Almighty paintskills! :lol:

Not thinking without portals at the very least...

If you can code you can do it.
It could potentially be dead easy, but then again it could be very hard.
And yes, If you could get it working it would be quite cool

Ive actually thought of this before.. very interesting

I have no chance at all coding it, Hammer is hard enough for me, it was more of an idea for other people *hint*

Not thinking without portals at the very least...

Well, it may be possible, but wouldn't it require a lot of portal detectors (assuming you don't code it in?)

or do portal detectors not function like that, or is it just the figuring of the
angles that makes it difficult?

Writing a mod that can do this sounds simple enough, actually, if the gun works anything like I suspect it does. Reflecting a vector around the normal of the face it hits is trivial, and from there all it would take is to fire another portal projectile out from the face. Actually getting it done, on the other hand... and then there's the whole "it's a mod" thing.

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!

I could actually see this being a very good idea. The surface could be like a mirror which you could see yourself and everything in. Bullets would hit the mirror, but the portal gun shots would reflect off of it.

I like it, very interesting. :)

I like my girls like I like my cars, I like them fast, I like them automatic, and I know I'm in trouble if I reach down and feel a stick.

Yeah I've thought of this before as well, as have a couple other people I believe. I'm sure somebody will code it into a mod sooner or later, maybe even me!

100% would need new coding. So you'll have to wait a while until the SDK base is updated.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
100% would need new coding. So you'll have to wait a while until the SDK base is updated.

Again. :?

Page 1 of 2Next