Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal Preload Activated

Page 1 of 2Next

Portal has been successfuly unlocked for preload.

Stay tuned for a mapping FAQ using the preload content!

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Wicked, awesome. ;)

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Well, until someone can successfuly crack the encryption on the files, no early mapping for us. I tried using the same technique people use to map TF2 by extracting the GFC contents, and no dice.

However, we should be able to use that technique to map once the game actually has been released, since I have heard we won't be getting an SDK update until a month or so after the game release.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Well, until someone can successfuly crack the encryption on the files, no early mapping for us. I tried using the same technique people use to map TF2 by extracting the GFC contents, and no dice.

However, we should be able to use that technique to map once the game actually has been released, since I have heard we won't be getting an SDK update until a month or so after the game release.

You're kidding?

I remember I sent an email to Gabe asking about whether the SDK will be released with Portal and he said yes, i'm going to send him another.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

That may be wrong information, but it's what I've heard. I'd love for there to be a full SDK update on release day.

On the topic on Interlopers about mapping on TF2 right now, there's a Portal FGD. I think we can just mirror the technique to map on TF2 on Portal (extracting all in a SourceMods folder, and so on).

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).
Hurricaaane wrote:
On the topic on Interlopers about mapping on TF2 right now, there's a Portal FGD. I think we can just mirror the technique to map on TF2 on Portal (extracting all in a SourceMods folder, and so on).

I believe thats what Sleeper was referring to when he said "The TF2 method" and it seems it didn't work.

I'd love to map for it though. Right now. :p

Could we test them though?

I'm serious, it says:

Quote:
1) prefabsandfgd.rar TF2 FGD, also includes a few prefabs, and the Portal FGD.

Here: http://www.interlopers.net/forum/viewto ... 35c6e6af9c

I don't know if it's official, nor where he got it, nor it the FPD contains real entities properties, but you can still study the ents without having to map with (cause stuff is encrypted)

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).

That is from the pre-activated TF2 files. They included the Portal FGD as well as the TF2 FGD, but for some reason they weren't locked like the Portal files are.

We can use that for entity setups, but we can't use the textures in the Portal FGD yet because it is locked and the files are encrypted. So we can't just extract the materials and models and start mapping right away. However, once Portal is unlocked and assuming they don't update the SDK right away, we will be able to make a custom map that way.

Don't worry, I plan on posting up a tutorial on how to start mapping if we don't get an SDK update.

I see, so even if they don't release an SDK with Portal, we can still map with it. ;)

Page 1 of 2Next