Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 With Sixsense Peripheral (Plus Dev Console Info!)

Alright, a new video or two has been spreading with some P2 gameplay and a little other interesting stuff. First of all, on Engadget, there's a video of Razer's Sixsense controller being used with Portal 2. Also:
08LkA9gE2oc

The most interesting part of this video is the shot of the console. First of all, it says "Source Engine 2001 (build 4408)" at the top, which is just kinda funny. However, Omni did a partial transcription, here's what he got down:

Code: Select all
[?] ???
[?] ???
[?] ???
[?] ???
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?? ???
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Trying to run give_portalgun
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Trying to run upgrade_portalgun
???
prop_s??????_tube at (-144.000 -128.000 976.000) has no model name!
???????? 190.000000000 0.000000000 0.00000000
Upgrading Portalgun with Rotate
Upgrading Portalgun with Rotate
Upgrading Portalgun
Redownloading all lightmaps
??? ??? up...
[Lots of coordinates, text excerpts: setpos_exact, setang_exact, [portal_place 0
[Errors]
???

I think the prop_s?????_tube may say prop_??? reflect_tube, I'm not sure.

And Jomonay/CanadianMoose got this out of it:

Code: Select all
xxxx used by 471 entities (sixense_ces_demo)

So, thoughts/comments/ideas on the new controller/console info/gameplay? The cube stretching is interesting, as it looks like the GMod-esque functionality of the ASHPD may be an upgrade or addon found later in the game.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

Not a big console player myself, and I think motion controls work very poorly for first person games. Hai2u Red Steel. Not to mention kind of a gimmick.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Oh shoot, I meant the dev console--not console systems. I'm pretty sure the Sixsense is being used on a PC, otherwise they wouldn't be able to bring up the dev console.

At first, I watched the embedded video, and was extremely disappointed with the "physgun" type of functionality being put into portal. But afterward, I watched the video in the link, and loved that they used it to make puzzles, using the "stretching" cube. I'm going to mess with it for so long when I get that game.

Portal 1.5 http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-15

I hope this "physgun" portal gun is either optional, in a bonus map, or only for people with sixense. Right now I really don't like it. I could be wrong, maybe it's fun, but I can see many a player using this to cheat in bonus maps, or the campaign itself. (it is probably unlockable via a dev console command like Portalgun_phys_shot 1 or something)
lol at 2001 :P more like 2010 (typo maybe?)
Also, why is it erroring about a model having no name? Do models need names now? :/

The only videos I have seen the physgun style properties is in these Sixsense videos, so it's not impossible that it is a Sixsense only function (to make grabbing items and such easier).

That said I still think motion controls are kind of a gimmick. And, uh, who really cares what was in the console?

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Apparently another video's popped up explaining that the physcannon stuff will be unlocked/downloaded for those who have purchased the peripheral. I'll probably embed the video/post it later.

msleeper wrote:
That said I still think motion controls are kind of a gimmick. And,
uh, who really cares what was in the console?

**looks around, slowly raises hand**
I do, it can provide a fair amount of insight as to what the engine/development will be like. Perhaps not in this instance, but still interesting.

I don't really see how some error reports and such can give any insight into anything, other than stuff that might not be included or finished. That's what an error message is.

The engine and development is going to be exactly the same we've used for 7 or 8 years now. It's the Source engine, it doesn't change.

msleeper wrote:
I don't really see how some error reports and such can give any insight into anything, other than stuff that might not be included or finished. That's what an error message is.

The engine and development is going to be exactly the same we've used for 7 or 8 years now. It's the Source engine, it doesn't change.

Well I find it odd since it asks for the pipe's name. No current model setup requires the model to be named (exept for I/O but this doesn't have any I/O errors with it) Is it really important? ( far as we know) Nope. Do I wanna know it? Yh. Why? Because I do. :P