Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 Pre-release/Beta Pack

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next
tile wrote:
I wish i could play a build of every beta version of portal 2 all the way through. that'd be AWSOME.

Not really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vboI7UUziHk

Anything EXCEPT for that. But this is mainly about chambers more than this.

I wouldn't. Most of the chambers were just improved for the final game. It would be nice to play one beta from quite a while back, to see the things they removed, but most of the betas would just be slight changes to everything.

Falsi sumus crusto!

The beta was good because the maps looked better, (They were more colourful in my opinion) but this bossfight was a WIP, and the other E3 maps looked finished. So, if I would be able to get maps from Valve, I would take the puzzles without much else. I would also like it to have the same models, textures, fog, etc. (Can anyone recommend keyvalues for beta style bts fog? I can't get it right).

true, the very early stuff wouldnt be that good aside from seeing what it was going to be like, but i'd love to play all the nearly-done stuff. :) reading the old april gameinformer that portal 2 was in, valve seems to have lied in a few places. i quote the lies here:

"valve doesnt intend to elaborate on the half life 2 connection because of tonall differences between games."

then what is the borealis' dry dock doing in there?

"organic elements and clinical settings provide a pleasing visual contrast."
"the extansive damage to the test chambers is too much for glados to repair un-aided, but she refuses to delay resuming her tests. This means she will begrudgingly allow you behind the scenes of aperture laboratories to reach the next test."

uh...no. she didnt. and the themes aren't mixing like that like i'd hoped.

"...so the labs RECONFIGURING is going to play a much bigger role in the game itself."

Visually, i can see the lab reconfiguration a little bit. walls repair and that, but it doesnt really play any bigger role than portal 1's piston panels did. i expected things like the room transforming from one shape to another practically, or the whole floor sinking downward while a wall moves to make a ledge. all i got was the same thing as portal 1- a panel coming out of the wall to angle upwards and provide a fling.

ImageImage
===========================
Im blue, a Clean Christian Furry with Autism.
Caden wrote:
Not really.

[Video here]

Might have worked if instead it was "Press Space to say "Yes.""

tile wrote:
Game Informer wrote:
Valve doesn't intend to elaborate on the Half-Life 2 connection because of the differences between games.

then what is the borealis' dry dock doing in there?

Maybe it's there because Portal still takes place in the same universe as Half-Life and Valve didn't want to completely separate them from each other?

tile wrote:
Game Informer wrote:
Organic elements and clinical settings provide a pleasing visual contrast.

themes aren't mixing like that like i'd hoped.

What do you mean? I, and plenty of others, think that Valve did a great job at mixing those themes. How do you think they could have done better?

tile wrote:
Game Informer wrote:
The extensive damage to the test chambers is too much for GLaDOS to repair un-aided, but she refuses to delay resuming her tests. This means she will begrudgingly allow you behind the scenes of aperture laboratories to reach the next test.

uh...no. she didnt... i expected things like the room transforming from one shape to another practically, or the whole floor sinking downward while a wall moves to make a ledge.

Or things like dozens of robotic arms reconstructing the entire floor of a test chamber, tile by tile, as you walk underneath them and are then lifted up into the newly built room?

Only once in the game. It was meant to be a common thing.

yishbarr wrote:
Only once in the game. It was meant to be a common thing.

I would pay for a mod which does this to all PTI maps.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Well, that kind of defeats the purpose of PTI.

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next