Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 Pre-release/Beta Pack

Page 1 of 5Next

It's finally here, after months and months of getting no where, I've got it at least started. The Portal 2 Pre-release/Beta Pack is a texture, and aesthetic pack that recreates the look and feel of Portal 2 we saw back at E3 2010 - PAX 2010. I've seen a lot of beta/pre-release maps that use the stock textures and looks and it does not do the justice!

What is included?

- New Metal Walls.
- Shinier dirty walls.
- Beta looking Observation rooms.
- Portal 1 Observation Rooms.
- Beta light strips.
- Green Goo
- Screenshot samples
- Portal 1 Button Switch
- Vscripts that swap out the Portal 2 turret and Portal 2 Button switch to the Portal 1 version.
- 2 Example maps by Kyo and Me.
- Whirls for the Portals. (Need VPK override)
- Different glass texture for the Portal Door. (Need VPK override)

(NOTE: I still need someone to find a way to get the sick figure to show on the portal door. He is in the model itself, but the glass texture needs to only show him.)

Q & A

Q: Why did you do this? There is a reason why Valve changed stuff.
A: Because I'm one of those people who love what Valve does not release a tad more on what they do end up shipping. I'm sure there are mappers who feel the same way.

Q: Is this an override?
A: No, it's separate. All the textures are under the folder "betapack". To ship your map, just pakrat (or include) that folder, and the models and material/models folders included.

Q: Does it include instances?
A: Yes

Q: Does it include the vmf of the sample maps?
A: No

Q: Can I help with anything?
A: Sure, feel free to contribute to anything and I'll add it to this package.

Special thanks to Kyo for testing the pack and allowing me to ship the map with this!

File Name: portal2_betapack_1.4_11.11.14.7z
File Size: 16.52 MiB
Click here to download Portal 2 Pre-release/Beta Pack

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.

Sorry for the double post, but here are screens:

Again, there are more samples in the file. Enjoy.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

Awesome, I've really missed this look. cant wait to play with it myself, thanks! :D

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps

I'm one of the mappers that feel the same. Also, I'll be able to make both beta styled maps and the original portal style because I don't have the game to port things. Have you thought of porting the Portal 1 autoportal emitter model?

yishbarr wrote:
I'm one of the mappers that feel the same. Also, I'll be able to make both beta styled maps and the original portal style because I don't have the game to port things. Have you thought of porting the Portal 1 autoportal emitter model?

Yeah, I'll find that model Winston made me for Blue Portals a while back. That one supports two skins if you wanted it to use two skins. Again, I need to find it and I'll ship it with the next update. Plus, fix up's of some of many Valve's old game play instances are on my list.

Also, quick question. What would unpaintable surfaces look like? ;)

reepblue wrote:
yishbarr wrote:

Yeah, I'll find that model Winston made me for Blue Portals a while back. That one supports two skins if you wanted it to use two skins. Again, I need to find it and I'll ship it with the next update. Plus, fix up's of some of many Valve's old game play instances are on my list.

Also, quick question. What would unpaintable surfaces look like? ;)

I don't know, I guess it's a specific colour but that's just what I think. Also, it seems like prop_button doesn't hold animations for different models, because I tried the sample maps and the animations don't look good.

Edit: The beta vac vents don't have textures, they're just white, and there's a download for them somewhere in the "Other files" category.

Yeah, the animations don't always work. Use this in your outputs:

Code: Select all
OnPressed -> !self -> SetAnimation down
OnButtonReset -> !self -> SetAnimation up

If you want, I can make it an instance so it automatically these outputs..

Anything that required VPK overrides have been ignored for now. I only included the particles and the glass for the door only "just because". The goal of the pack was to keep it small enough so even big maps can still fit on the workshop or sites with a file size limit. Unlike the observation rooms, not all maps will have the vactubes.

Looks awesome!

For a non-paintable wall...hm...maybe some sort of red/orange/golden metal, to look different from the black non-portalable metal.

Falsi sumus crusto!

For unpaintable areas,I usually just put grating over a surface recessed 32 units. But that's just me.

Also, the pack appears to be missing VTFs for the 'glasswindow_refract02' textures. Is it supposed to be like that? I get the checkerboard when I try to use them.

ImageImage
srs bsnss wrote:
For unpaintable areas,I usually just put grating over a surface recessed 32 units. But that's just me.

Also, the pack appears to be missing VTFs for the 'glasswindow_refract02' textures. Is it supposed to be like that? I get the checkerboard when I try to use them.

I was only asking what the unpaintable textures would look like because if you look at some older instances, there was gonna be unpaintable surfaces.

All the glasswindow_refract02 textures are there. They only appear checkered in Hammer, but will work in-game. It's normal, it also did this in the Portal 1 tools.

Page 1 of 5Next