Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Opinions Of The New Level Maker

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next

Btw, isn't it possible to save your status while you're playing a map made by the community and load it again?? I've searched amongst my savegames in the main menu and this doesn't keep a record of any progress for these maps. Also there's no option into the new menu for loading saved points...

I'm just saying because that would be an annoying "dislike", not directly related to the new puzzle editor, but to the dlc2.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

F6 and F7 (by default) still work fine, but you have to take care that you actually are in the community section when loading a community map save, otherwise it breaks the rating window at the end.

(They should add menu options for those IMO.)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

My biggest problem with making maps in hammer (for pretty much any game, heh) was always getting started. Setting up all the little stuff like level-start and end entities, all that. I'm kind of looking forward to when I do my first hammer export. I'm just toying around with the editor as of now, doing complete PeTI maps, but I'm hoping to start exporting them and making them REAL maps.

-Elegant as hell (For some reason, whenever I'm extruding a corner, I'm thinking of SBURB)

Dislikes: -Not as precise or wide-ranging as Hammer can be. (Not really a fault, but a trade-off)

I've noticed that not a lot of people are downloading PTI maps as much as Hammer made maps. But then again, that's just from looking at the overall downloads. And that there are multiple ways to find a PTI map beside looking in TWP.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
I've noticed that not a lot of people are downloading PTI maps as much as Hammer made maps. But then again, that's just from looking at the overall downloads. And that there are multiple ways to find a PTI map beside looking in TWP.

For me, I never will see a PTI map the same way as a Hammer-made map. I definitely do not like PTI maps, at all. They just feel so different. Maybe that's just me...

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Power Interference
[Released] Rust and Dust (Spotlight Map!)
[Released] Multiportal

What do you like?
User-friendly. Easy to make things big and complicated, fast.

What do you dislike?
I cannot make specific markings when I construct more complex stuff, like arrows and dots indicating direction and order.

What needs to be fixed?
No idea if these have been observed:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/2012052100002.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/2012052100003.jpg/
We are talking about oscillating platforms. They will cause the map-editor to crash in about half an hour, but only when entering in-game.

What annoys you?
I have to publish and subscribe to my own map, then restart the game in order to actually play it and skip the map editor generating the whole thing all over again.

How do you feel about other's maps?
I'll get curious once (although it appears I shouldn't be)

Will you continue to use Hammer, PeTI, or both?
I've never used Hammer, so I guess I'm an outcast in this matter.

Sets up trigger hurts for goo and discouragement field
Clean textures
Animated panels with inputs
Auto indicator lights
Easy to change entrance and exit
Path tracks are easy to set up
Observation rooms are SO easy to place
Less crashes

Dislikes:
128X128 grid
Mess of indicator lights
No OR gates
Lack of clean only
No models
Turrets don't shoot through portals and have limited sight
No overlays, info placement helpers, or trigger
Where are the crushers?

Big Mood
portal2tenacious wrote:
Dislikes:
Turrets don't shoot through portals and have limited sight

I modified the turret for you: it now shoots through portals and has a range of 4096 instead of 1024.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37801279/turret.vmf download/save that and place it in Steamsteamappscommonportal 2sdk_contentmapsinstancesp2editor and overwrite the turret.vmf that's in there and your turrets are more deadly then those of most others.

Good things: I like the simplicity of it all, and how You can make a level in 5 minutes. It's also good since you can upload levels from the hammer editor too.
Bad things: It doesn't let you add details. Not as many elements as there is in hammer.
NOT ENOUGH SPACE. We need more of it. I agree with Space core. Space. Space? SSSPPPAAACCCEEEEE!!!!!

If you are a beginner at making tests, It's a good place to start. But if you already know how to use hammer, use that instead.

2+2 is..... 10. IN BASE FOUR IM FINE.
Vill. wrote:
I have to publish and subscribe to my own map, then restart the game in order to actually play it and skip the map editor generating the whole thing all over again.

Really? I never have to restart the game - just subscribe then go back to my queue and it's there....

---------------------------
My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!
---------------------------
PreviousPage 4 of 5Next