Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Official Custom Maps?

Could more official maps be added for Portal in upcoming updates? I mean u can Import Bonus Maps from the menu in Portal atm... :?

I would probably say they will only release pending content that was designated for that game. So, if they had 3 or 4 maps left over after the process, they might revamp them a bit and shoot them out to the community, like lost coast.

I am sure there will be official map packs for it, but, I would have to guess they will cost money. But, who knows.

If they're added, you won't need to add them via that function. I think the fact that this is a single player game, Valve designed it with the intention people would be immediately mapping, and even the average user would probably want to load up maps. The ability to add them directly in game, instead of loading them into the map folder and then using changelevel is probably what we'll be able to do once they update the SDK.

They wouldn't have left it so "difficult" (not that it is, but it's a bit convoluted for the average user) to play custom maps, given the nature of the game and the fact that it WILL forge a large mapping community.

It would be great if we could download maps in game, like from steam community. Uploading them in game would be great as well.

I would hope that Valve knew the kind of user generated content this game would generate, and that the Portal SDK will have some functionality to zip a set of maps up into a .bmz or whatever the "Import Bonus Map" button wants.

I suspect that's going to be our button.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Hober wrote:
I would hope that Valve knew the kind of user generated content this game would generate, and that the Portal SDK will have some functionality to zip a set of maps up into a .bmz or whatever the "Import Bonus Map" button wants.

I suspect that's going to be our button.

Yeah I'd love some easy tool that would generate a BMZ file for us to pack into our RAR file. Considering an email I got back from Gabe Newell, they planned and hoped for user content.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.