Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Observation rooms and "crap" turrets.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

One word: Lighting.

Observation rooms are a crucial source of lighting in both Portal and Portal 2. They're not as necessary in the latter, because of the improved lighting system and increased number of lighting methods/instances/etc., but let's face it, chambers would get monotonous with just light strips. Observation rooms provide light, provide a focal point of interest, provide something for the player to observe and speculate about, and more or less just look good. Any "testing protocol" justification is really just a bonus.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

I like the windows, because they are distorted. The exact type of window you WOULDN'T want for observation purposes.

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."
iWork925 wrote:
The Irate Pirate wrote:
It also fits in terms of atmosphere since they give the map a more creepy vibe, knowing that people could be watching you from them.

Agreed. When I first played portal 1 when I was a wee boy, the observation rooms were very eery and scared me a little. I guess valve thought they would use the fear of the unknown to their advantage.

Sleeper, I don't really think crap is worthy of being censored.

Yeah, I always feel the same way, especially knowing there's another human, except a really crazy one who watches you from hidden spots and writes stuff on walls, sees things and sounds like a chicken.

And my reaction to the video:
Shouldn't the kid feel cool because it was coming from a dumb, immature, AI designed to make bad choices? Plus it's a villain, what do you expect? It's like I say that some show where say the joker traps batman in a cage and then some news reporter says it's bad because of animal abuse.
:kermit:

Godzilla (Lazars) wrote:
Yeah, I always feel the same way, especially knowing there's another human, except a really crazy one who watches you from hidden spots and writes stuff on walls, sees things and sounds like a chicken.

I've heard the "Ghost of Rattmann" soundtrack, so I know what you're talking about, but I don't remember ever hearing the chicken-sounds in the game. Which part was that?

NuclearDuckie wrote:
Godzilla (Lazars) wrote:

I've heard the "Ghost of Rattmann" soundtrack, so I know what you're talking about, but I don't remember ever hearing the chicken-sounds in the game. Which part was that?

When you obtain the half-enabled ASHPD for the first time. It's rather quiet and more audible near a few of the panels with drawings.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

It also plays in some easter-egg rooms.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
NuclearDuckie wrote:
Godzilla (Lazars) wrote:

I think it's the one at the beginning of the game where there was a hard light bridge, and a button that makes a lift go down. You place a hard light bridge where you see a big, square hole, and you go in it. After exiting, the panel shuts (you can't get in there anymore for that test) and you hear what's probably Ratman.

Wow, I didn't find any of those dens on my first playthrough. Guess I wasn't that explorative.

There's the den which you take the radio to for the final transmission achievement. That plays Ghost of Ratmann. Incidentally, I have that song and the others on my iPod. 'Cause I'm nerdy.

Current Community Contributor status: not a community contributor. Lost it. :(

Same, as well as the Portal 1 Soundtrack. In fact, I think Ghost of Ratmann is the only song with lyrics I have. :D Btw, am I e only one who has an inordinate love for The Friendly Faith Plate?

ImageImageImageImage
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next