Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Observation rooms and "crap" turrets.

Page 1 of 3Next

First an observation (unrelated to the rooms). A few weeks ago there was a thread here recounting how one news station ran this story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUQYrdgIJuI

This story recounts how one parent was offended that his 10-year-old adopted daughter had to listen to Wheatley say: "What's wrong with being adopted? Well, no parents, for a start."

What I would like to say is that he was evidently completely oblivious to such golden lines as:
"Ha! Was that your bullet-riddled body, flying out of the room? It was- aww, those were the crap turrets, weren't they? Yeah..."
"If we're lucky, she won't find out all her turrets are crap until it's too late. [laughs] Classic."
"We could get one of the crap turrets. We could put it in the scanner and see what happens."
"Yes! Go and catch one of the crap turrets, and bring it back!"
"Oh no, you've got it, you've got it! Yes! Put him in there! Let's see how this place likes a crap turret."

This suggests one of two things: either this parent really doesn't mind about swear words, or possibly this 10-year-old was gaming so fast Wheatley never got to play those lines. In which case, she is a ninja.

:notwant:

BUT this is all old news that nobody wants to talk about any more. The real question is:

Why does GLaDOS - and Wheatley, for that matter - include observation rooms in the new test chambers?

Current Community Contributor status: not a community contributor. Lost it. :(

I don't recall "crap" ever being censored in anything.

Why are the observation rooms there? I imagine they're built into the framework of the Enrichment Centre. I'm even more confused about the layout of that place than I was after the original game, since suddenly it seems every room can be magically transformed into a different one by tweaking the panels. My solution was to stop taking anything the game threw at me seriously, and that worked like a charm.

What confuses me more is design layout, since it seems some chambers are mobile purely because it's needed for the design. (i.e.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
it seems like that room was built purposefully like that for the situation, while in other places they are stationary.

I don't know where you live, but "crap" is pretty far from a swear word.

As for the rest, stop looking at things so closely and looking for answers. First and foremost it's a game and things are done to suit a game world. Never forget that.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
I don't know where you live, but "crap" is pretty far from a swear word.

As for the rest, stop looking at things so closely and looking for answers. First and foremost it's a game and things are done to suit a game world. Never forget that.

Yes it's a game, but it's fun to find logical reasons for how things happen.

"Fun". Okay fine. Testing protocols require human observation platforms, regardless if there are any humans to use them.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Lol @ sleeper trying to have fun entering 'super serious' mode.

Also if you are refering to how there can be observation rooms when the chambers are made of panels/movearound; if you look closely, the chambers arnt 100% panels and the observation rooms are built on the inside.

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."

"Crap" isn't really a swear word as has already been said, the ESRB doesn't count it as one at least. Howevr, Cane Johnson really does swear occasionally (albiet still mildly)so the point is still valid.

Anyways,

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
. And also, all the chambers vary between mobile and what seems to be fixed in place, such as the one where Wheatley manually overrides on the wall and most chambers that contain actual puzzles. All the moving ones are just big boxes if you notice.

There's probably a built in test protocol that forces the AI to have observation rooms for a human test observer. Just like GLaDOS is unable to remove the core transfer area properly and can only push you back with panels.

Valve put them in for the sake of increased detail, it takes the place of the skybox in giving light and making the world look bigger than it actually is. It also fits in terms of atmosphere since they give the map a more creepy vibe, knowing that people could be watching you from them.

The Irate Pirate wrote:
It also fits in terms of atmosphere since they give the map a more creepy vibe, knowing that people could be watching you from them.

Agreed. When I first played portal 1 when I was a wee boy, the observation rooms were very eery and scared me a little. I guess valve thought they would use the fear of the unknown to their advantage.

Also on the argument of the moving test chambers; remember that not all TC's are mobile. There are varying different chambers, from the enrichment spheres, to the stationary one (seen in potal 1 and the opening of portal 2), and the mobile ones seen under the reign of Wheatley. Most of them, including some sphere, have observation rooms even a couple you can get into.

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."
Page 1 of 3Next