Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Observation Maze [Release]

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Thinking about it, did you get up on the wall by

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

If you did it this way, I may just leave it in for the portal/time/step challenges whenever I get to doing that. Theres also another way up on to the walls, but I leave you guys to figure that out.

Also, the cube needs to be vaporized because it's posible to get seperated from your cube and not be able to get back to it as you go through the map. If I only let one cube exist at a time, it could make the maze unsolveable a points, and I didn't want the player to be able to get multiple cubes, since that would provide too easy of a way of getting up on the walls. With no real destructive elements on the map, vaporizing the cube seems like the only resonable option (aside from building in some very complex animations or something to remove the old cube some other way, which I didn't want to do because of the time it would take.)

Syon wrote:
Thinking about it, did you get up on the wall by (spoiler)

Yep, thats the way.

As for the cube destructor; I wonder if there is away to check the cubes distance from the switch, or you. . . and only destroy it and give another if its far away. You problem does sound more complicated than it initially seemed.

Yeah, I thought about checking distance or checking if the cube is in an unreachable location when the button is pushed, but that amount of work was beyond what I wanted to do at the moment.

Also, you'd get in the situation of players pushing he button again while the cube is with them, and since the button would do nothing the player might think "I guess I only get one cube" then the player gets seperated from their cube and thinks "how am I supposed to get another cube when the button won't give me another one?"
I thought it made more sense to show the player that they can get a new cube no matter what happens, and that they can get it any time they need it.

I kind of painted myself in to a corner on this whole thing though. Originally the map was much more simple, the only spot the cube was needed was at the very end and most of the maze was just a standard maze. I thought this made it much too easy though, so I added a lot more walls and places you have to use the cube. Before making it harder, there was only one cube and no dispenser, but after changing the design I realized the player could easily get seperated from the cube and get stuck in the maze.
Now I was kind of stuck, do I make the maze really easy with one cube, do I add a way to get new cubes, or do I scrap the whole design and find a new way to do it? An easy map isn't a lot of fun, and I didn't want to throw away all the work I'd done, so it came down to putting in a dispenser and removing old cubes.

If nothing else it taught me to think ahead more when building complex maps.

From reading the thread, can I just confirm:

Spoiler

Only a spider trusts the web
Ralph wrote:
From reading the thread, can I just confirm:

Spoiler

That's one way to solve it, although not the intended way. You're supposed to work your way throgh the maze using the cube. I found that quite awhile ago

Spoiler

Game breaking bug:

The metal part of the back wall is portable - because of this, I beat your map in about 20 seconds on my first try.

I enjoy this.

Spoiler

At the entrance, just after you walk out of the elevator, there is enough of a gap between the walls and the elevator to see out into nothingness above the elevator.

so i just got your maze. fun :-)

Spoiler

--

The cake is a PI

--

Add me on STEAM: iamafractal
I'm up for coop games & beta testing your maps...

--
PreviousPage 2 of 2