Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Observation Maze [Release]

Page 1 of 2Next

Ive just finished my first map and I'm looking for some feedback on it. Been working on and off on it for 2 weeks. Before now I'd never done built any hl2 maps, so had a bit of learning to do with hammer and all. I've tried to make it look as professional as possible though.

1 known but at the moment.
- The elevators are all white due to high reflectivity. I havn't been able to figure out how to fix this. When rendered without HDR the elevators reflect the skymap (which i've also had trouble with.) If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

Thanks and Enjoy.

Edit:
Forgot to include a link to the download area for the map.
http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/dload.php?action=file&file_id=62

Maybe I'll add those suggestions too, pretty easy stuff to change.

When walls come up white, it means that you need to rebuild the cubemaps which can not be done in portal atm, unless you do it in another game such as half-life 2 Death Match.

Nicely done map, twas defiantly bettwr than my first Portal map heh.
But i think in a maze you need to put where you need to go or it's jsut frustrating... it may be a maze i know but still. :wink:

nice map, someone finally does a maze idea. i got turned around alot. i like that you had the observation thing in the middle, it helps with orientation. you really ought to make the glass more obvious, alot of maps people release has glass that is pretty much invisible.

Though I'm not a fan of mazes, it's definitely not a bad achievement. :)

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.

Nice puzzle, took me a bit to spot what I was supposed to do with the cube.

Only a spider trusts the web

Will try this tonight - if it's any good would you allow me to review it?

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Grudge wrote:
Will try this tonight - if it's any good would you allow me to review it?

Of course. Feel free.

I'll probably update it tonight to add an overlay to point out the exit location and change the glass a little to make it more visible.

Maybe add portal/step/time challenges too if I have time.

Get it as finished as possible, PM me your MSN. Ready, set, go.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Updated the map.

Changed glass textures to be more visible
Added a couple arrows to make the exit easier to locate.
Added cubemaps.

Flaw in map; from the start I was able to portal-propel myself high enough to jump/crouch-land on top of wall. From there I was able to walk to the end; no need to push button, get cube, etc. 30 sec from start to finish, max.

When I tried the more legit way. . . I got the cube delivered, and pushed the button again. The cube right next to me vaporized for no reason. . . and you then delivered me another cube! If you only want me to have one cube, dont let the button work twice while a cube eixsts.

Page 1 of 2Next