Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Non-motion Motion Blur

Page 1 of 2Next

I'm loving the new motion blur effects in the orange box and for one of my TS#13 maps I need to blur the player's vision temporarily.
Is there a way I can force the game to blur the players vision, even if they aren't moving? I bet there is, the main question is do any of you know how to?
I'd like the blur around the edges, just like the motion blur, rather than a full-on out of focus type blur.

Thanks,
Youme

Yeah, use a screen overlay (I think it's called). I know that alexroyce did something similar to make cs_noir appear to be in black and white.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Yeah, use a screen overlay (I think it's called). I know that alexroyce did something similar to make cs_noir appear to be in black and white.

Ok, didn't even know they existed.
*Fist in air* To the Developer Wiki!

Now all i need to know is the name of the overlay. :?

For some reason, env_screeneffect doesn't seem to work in Portal (but in Episode 1 or 2, it must be working on, haven't tested it, but...). It should be the effect you're looking for.

msleeper is talking about env_screenoverlay, which is made to display a material over the player's screen, probably blended, I haven't used it much before.

Also, turning a screen black and white can be done via colorcorrection.

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).
Hurricaaane wrote:
For some reason, env_screeneffect doesn't seem to work in Portal (but in Episode 1 or 2, it must be working on, haven't tested it, but...). It should be the effect you're looking for.

Thanks, After looking at the env_screenoverlay it doesn't look like it will work well, especially as there is no 'blur' overlay

Hurricaaane wrote:
Also, turning a screen black and white can be done via colorcorrection.

True, however, you can't guarentee that every player has colour correction enabled, but with an overlay you can guarentee that everyone will see it in black and white.

Also cs_noir came out before color correction was apart of the engine.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

*waits for someone to make a black and white portal map* :D

Initially I was going to make a snarky comment about not being able to tell portals apart, but the result is, from color decomposition, a white and a black portal.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Leck wrote:
*waits for someone to make a black and white portal map* :D

That's a good idea actually.

Page 1 of 2Next