Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Newb Question: Snapping to grid?

How do I stop everything I place from snapping to the grid, it gets extremely frustrating and makes everything I attempt look like blocky garbage.

Must be off, I need to re register my paged pool memory.

Hold down (I think) alt when you're moving stuff.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Hober wrote:
Hold down (I think) alt when you're moving stuff.

Thats it!

Thank you =P

Err, if you are new to Hammer you probably want to work on the grid no matter what. If you start doing off the grid stuff you are bound to run into leak problems.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

It's useful for positioning props like our beloved weighted companion cubes, chairs, desks etc.

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!

I love leaks, I take them all the time :P

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]
msleeper wrote:
Err, if you are new to Hammer you probably want to work on the grid no matter what. If you start doing off the grid stuff you are bound to run into leak problems.

Just for placing doors and things, they were forever a foot of the ground till now.

I would recommend using the bracket keys [ ] to change the grid size, if you can't get something on the ground, make the grid smaller until you can, most of the time I only go as low as 16. using grid size rather than ignoring snapping will make things faster, more precise, and less likely to leave leaks

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]