Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New Map Editor, TF2 Halloween, and Looking For Staff

Page 1 of 6Next

Valve has posted up a sneak peak of an upcoming "Portal 2 Puzzle Creator" designed to make maps more simple. As most of us here are seasoned Hammer veterans, I'm really curious to know what everyone thinks of it! There's also mention of a Steam powered map distribution system to allow players to more easily find and download maps. Here's a snippet:

Quote:
The simplified puzzle creator will let players easily carve out their creations in a straightforward but powerful way. They'll then be able to immediately upload those levels to their Steam Cloud and share them with other players online.

Image Image

In other news, Team Fortress 2 is having their annual Halloween event going on right now. Our friends at F7Lans.com have setup Halloween servers to play on if you want some friendly faces to enjoy some TF2 with!

Lastly - TWP is looking for new staff members! Specifically, news posters and map reviewers for Spotlight and Roundup posts. If you are already active in the community and interested in helping out, post here or send me a PM and let me know!

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I am will to work for you guys. i am 19 years of age, mature, and always looking for a place to help and i am very willing to work with twp. Hope to hear from you my steam name is [zG] Spud097 -ukh-

msleeper wrote:
If you are already active in the community and interested in helping out

spud097 wrote:

Somebody needs to pick up some reading comprehension.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I actually saw the commented out code in the portal 2 DLC that came out recently, it was interesting... good to see that they didn't completely scrap the idea
and as for the easy chamber maker, you have to wonder how good the brush work will be, and if the maps will be optimized well... I think that knowing hammer will still be a great asset where it may be easy to make simple quick chambers with the "EasyMapper", then open them back up in hammer and put in all the little details we want.
I will definitely be getting it... whether or not I will use it much will depend on its quality :)

Edit: I'm also interesting in working for twp, I've never posted a map here, but if that's what it takes I could :)

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps

I bet mappers could makes maps twice as fast now. However, I'm not sure if there will be as much "creativity" freedoms compared to Hammer. I'm thinking that I would use the new editor to create the basic design of the map and then use Hammer to add some more complex stuff. I doubt the in-game map editor could make this:

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

I'm assuming that, like the Alien Swarm in-game editor, you'll be able to export VMFs to use in Hammer. So this won't be as much of an all-in-one editor, as much as it is to create the barebones of a map easily and quickly.

I also don't think this will ever replace Hammer in skilled hands.

The first picture you post on the left is one of the official Portal 2 maps, but you might have already known that; the one on the right, I have no idea. The graphics for the map editor remind me of the awesome Portal 2 trailers with the stick figures in it. I think I see a few stick figures in the pictures.
I heard that it might be possible that GLaDOS will speak to the player in the in-game editor. Brace yourselves if you make a typo in the map editor. :lol:

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
msleeper wrote:
Valve has posted up a sneak peak of an upcoming "Portal 2 Puzzle Creator" designed to make maps more simple. As most of us here are seasoned Hammer veterans, I'm really curious to know what everyone thinks of it!

I've been asking for this since portal 1. Its high time this game become an easy-access community based game with a central hub wesbite fo instantly swapping levels and an easier to use editor. I'm thrilled and I bet we'll see the community grow by leaps and bounds.

So when this Hammer: Lite Version comes out?

More information Here

"Pretty is better than ugly, but if it doesn't work, ugly is better than pretty"
-Phyton

For me, this in-game map editor is a good opportunity for beginners in mapping.
Later, they will start using Hammer instead of it and make more detailed maps. Just wait and see if this in-game map editor will be useful or not.

Page 1 of 6Next