Please or Register to create posts and topics.

mmm error...

Page 1 of 2Next

ok so I have an idea im working on, I have several spotlights near each other pointing straight down, the light doesn't need to overlap, in fact id prefer it not to... most of the lights look ok, but some of them have big nonlit blocks across the face

WARNING: Too many light styles on a face (72,24,-183)
WARNING: Too many light styles on a face (-24,24,-183)
WARNING: Too many light styles on a face (72,-72,-183)
WARNING: Too many light styles on a face (-24,-72,-183)
.9...10 (1)

theres the error... is there a limit to how many lights you can have on a surface? cause im trying not to let them overlap, but no change...

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

I believe the limit is 6 lights on a face.

This only applies to dynamic lighting (ie named lights, or lights with styles). The solution is to space the lights out, and not to name them unless absolutely necessary.

This is only an issue with light and light_spot.

that is bullcrap... I can't space them out anymore :s

they are named, they have to be cause they're not always on

they turn on based on conditions of cubes, switches, etc.

all of them are shining on their own brush... is there a way to turn off calculating radiosity for a light, so that each one will only hit their brush and not others?

The only other thing I can suggest that may work is to compile the map with "-bounce 0" in vrad, but this may make your lighting look crappy.

Also, you could try reducing the angle of the outer cone in the light_spot.

There are probably better solutions, but I am a relative noob at Source mapping. Most of my experience with this stuff is remembered from mapping for HL1 many years ago.

I'm sure if there are other ways to overcome your problem, someone more experienced on here will post.

I was using a light_spot, and was gonna make more copies so it could change color because I didn't like the look of light_dynamic (wanted more of the cone effect)... light_dynamic doesn't seem to be causing this problem, and combining it with point_spotlight might work...

EDIT: having problems with the light_dynamic, seems to be really bright near where the light is, but dark where im pointing the spot... I realize its basically 2 lights in one, but I want the spot not the omni and im getting the opposite of that :evil:

I am pretty sure any face can only have 2 dynamic lights shining on it. Even if each light shines on its own bush, if the surfaces are in the same plane BSP will join them together again. To counter this you could try separating each brush with hint bushes to force BSP to keep them seperate, though this will have penalties in vis time and render speed in game (not sure this will work, but it might).

Edit: That's no good, seems hint wont cut world geometry.

Only a spider trusts the web

ok, I found that lowering the lights closer to the ground fixed it...

I have a point_spotlight
and a trigger_multiple

Trigger_multiple:
onstarttouch -> point_spotlight -> color -> (parameter) 255 255 255
delay 1 second

but it doesn't change color

any thoughts? :P

I don't think that will work since lights are precomputed.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

thats odd, why would color be an option in the paramters, along with turnon and turnoff... :?

It is a part of the standard entity properties. For example, you can make an entity take a certain color depending on it's Render Mode, and use that to change it on the fly.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
Page 1 of 2Next