Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Looking for a Level Designer: URGENT

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next
WinstonSmith wrote:
You guys do know what VCDs are, right? Their entire point is to have a logic_choreographed_scene play a series of sound files in sequence.

Or is Faceposer not working with the Portal 2 Authoring Tools?

Won't work because you need to rebuild scenes.image.

Omnicoder wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:
You guys do know what VCDs are, right? Their entire point is to have a logic_choreographed_scene play a series of sound files in sequence.

Or is Faceposer not working with the Portal 2 Authoring Tools?

I take it you don't know about scenes.image?

Forgot, thanks for the reminder.

For those who don't know, scenes.image is a file which is basically a manifest of all the VCDs (scenes) in the game. It's really only useful in a mod because it has to be rebuilt every time you add a new scene. My apologies for the memory lapse.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

The whole ambient_generic idea was just because i couldnt work out the whole actor system,
maybe, if i get that to work, ill replace that, or just add custom subtitles to my angrybirds.
but if you want to talk about that, just post it in the angrybombs thread ofc ;)

Portal 2 Marriage Proposal project: Linking Annex
Spotlighted and over 9000 downloads!!! SP_Angrybombs

Here's my youtube & deviantart

For some reason I thought you just put in a generic_actor in you're level and fire an output to it like On Trigger,@glados,RunScriptCode,laser_catapult_glados_start().

I haven't tried that out yet, just grabbed a logic_auto and logic_relay from a Valve map.

MissStabby wrote:
maybe, if i get that to work, ill replace that, or just add custom subtitles to my angrybirds.

You mispelt your own map?!?!? :O
The angry birds are getting to us, I swear!

Another Bad Pun wrote:
For some reason I thought you just put in a generic_actor in you're level and fire an output to it like On Trigger,@glados,RunScriptCode,laser_catapult_glados_start().

The problem with that is some scenes are automatically played after each other. So if you only wanted a certain piece of dialogue it might be harder to implement.

If you do play with subtitles on, you'll notice that sparks and other major sounds like doors opening give subtitles. Do you think they would be scene files too?

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

Is it honestly that hard to implement custom subtitles?, or on a more relevent note; would a map really be considered "bad" if it had dialog and no subtitles? Not many people use the subtitles anyway.

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."
iWork925 wrote:
Is it honestly that hard to implement custom subtitles?, or on a more relevent note; would a map really be considered "bad" if it had dialog and no subtitles? Not many people use the subtitles anyway.

It's not hard. I just made some in a test map just before.
The only thing is we have to make them appear in a sort of 'hack' instead of playing them through scene files.
If you're interested in finding out how to make captions go to the valve wiki here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Closed_Captions

As a note I had to manually change the current game directory path from my HL2 deathmatch folder as the Portal Authoring tools doesn't set portal 2 as the current game directory. (that is: it was trying to compile the captions from my deathmatch resource folder instead of my portal 2 one.)

Also I play the game with subtitles on even though I do have sound. It's so I make sure I don't miss any of the dialogue. But leaving out people with no sound and deaf people is just plain rude!

chickenmobile wrote:
Also I play the game with subtitles on even though I do have sound. It's so I make sure I don't miss any of the dialogue. But leaving out people with no sound and deaf people is just plain rude!

Same here. Also in parts where dialogue is quieter or heavily echoed it can be hard to pick out words exactly (at least for me). I thought in one of Cave Johnson's lines he said "Whatever you pee will be cold" instead of "coal" when I played again, much funnier that time.

Omnicoder wrote:
I had custom subtitles in Retrospective, I'll explain them to anyone who needs them.

I would very much appreciate that. I'd like to have subtitles in my mod (and I was also just curious as to the proper way to handle custom dialogue, if an ambient generic works with no complaints, that's fine with me). Want me to PM you? or..

morrock wrote:
Omnicoder wrote:
I had custom subtitles in Retrospective, I'll explain them to anyone who needs them.

I would very much appreciate that. I'd like to have subtitles in my mod (and I was also just curious as to the proper way to handle custom dialogue, if an ambient generic works with no complaints, that's fine with me). Want me to PM you? or..

Would be great if you added a small 'Closed Caption' tutorial to the Portal 2 Level Design tutorial wiki page.
EDIT: See here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... _(Portal_2)

Guys, i saw a video yesterday of Ellen McLain when she attended Anime Midwest; and she said something like this: A fan contacted the guys at Valve recently. He said he was getting married soon and he asked if she (Ellen) could record some audio exclusively for him. Valve said yes and she recorded the lines this guy requested.

Now, this ain't no secret because it's on Youtube here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgTXj1I996k
There's 6 parts and I don't remember in which one she says all this, but it's one of the first three.
Here goes my question: Are you this guy?(congratulations if you are)

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next