Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Lasers and redirecting cubes

Hi,

I've been trying some custom maps, and there are times when you have to redirect lasers using cubes. The thing is, theese cubes have a "front" face which is where the laser is going to come out, no matter from where comes in, it comes out from this front face. When you take one of theese cubes, the front face always looks where you look, and it's ana agony to set a cube facing up, for example. Do you know any trick to rotate the cube before droping it? Thanks in advance!

I hope I explained myself properly.

You can get tricksy with the physics by setting a cube on top of something else (like another cube) in such a way that it is half-hanging off the thing it rests on, so that it will fall off, and rotate 90 degrees in doing so.

But, fundamentally, the way the redirection cubes were made to function makes it so that any puzzle that requires you to use one to redirect a laser up (or down) really shouldn't. I've only run in to one puzzle in a custom map where I thought it was a required solution, and it turned out that I wasn't Thinking With Portals.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Hober wrote:
I've only run in to one puzzle in a custom map where I thought it was a required solution, and it turned out it was like 4 in the fucking morning and me and msleeper were Thinking With Hurrrrrr.
[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Hober wrote:
I've only run in to one puzzle in a custom map where I thought it was a required solution, and it turned out it was like 4 in the fucking morning and me and msleeper were Thinking With Hurrrrrr.

Out of curiosity which map was that? I've got an idea but I'm not sure.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

Most recently it was Fast Bridge, but we have had plenty of herp derp "4 in the morning" and/or "msleeper has been drinking too much" moments together. Most frequently it's a combination of both factors.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Most recently it was Fast Bridge, but we have had plenty of herp derp "4 in the morning" and/or "msleeper has been drinking too much" moments together. Most frequently it's a combination of both factors.

I'd pay a fair amount to be a camera on the wall of some of those coop sessions.

Singleplayer too, for that matter.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

Singleplayer wouldn't be as hilarious because we are not talking and laughing during most of it.

I find it easiest to stand on top of a cube and then slowly walk backwards. This will cause the cube to topple over without any funny physics dropping, and seems to work 95% of the time for me.

msleeper wrote:
Singleplayer wouldn't be as hilarious because we are not talking and raging at Hober doing whatever the fuck flits across his mind.
"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster