Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How do I create a map walk through?

Page 1 of 2Next

I'd like to create/post a video of the walk through of my map.

What is the easiest/best way to do this? Do folks use Fraps?

Edit: Sorry if this isn't the right forum. Seemed like the best choice, being related to those who make maps.

I use Fraps for all of my walkthroughs, there's nothing that's really better in my opinion. If, however you are concerned about lag during gameplay record a demo and then play back the demo and use fraps to record the demo instead

How do I record a demo? Is this built into the game?

I am also a Fraps user. It is worth the small investment, imo.

You could also use the last free version, 1.9D. Only disadvantages of this one: It doesn't record sound and you have to play in 640x480.

suffer1034 wrote:
How do I record a demo? Is this built into the game?

Yeah, simply type (record "name") without the brackets into the console, replacing name with whatever you want the filename to be. To play back the demo type (playdemo "name") again without brackets into the console. Note if you play maps with level changes in them the demos will be recorded sequentially.

I use Fraps. But if you want something free, use HyperCam. It sucks though.

xFire works also. But not the best recording...

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

Another Fraps user here. Great piece of software. Almost perfect quality when recording in HD/30 FPS and I still get 100-200 FPS in Portal 2 while playing and recording. Can't fault it.

Only thing is - it you plan on using slow motion at all then I'd record from a demo at a higher frame rate as 30 FPS footage will look a bit laggy.

I've used a program called MSI Afterburner. It's meant to be a video card overclocking program, but it has a video recording feature. You don't need an MSI video card to use it either.
Also, I've heard of a program called Taksi but it didn't work very well for me.

Both of those programs are free.

Page 1 of 2Next