Please or Register to create posts and topics.

hmw00_1_2.7z

PreviousPage 9 of 9

This latest weekend I finally got time for playing HMW mappack Manic Mechanic and Try anything Twice. this is to share my absolute fascination. I played all maps during 1,5 hours or so on Saturday morning and I must say I didn't played them before ever, and I've got them for 1-2 years! The reason is that I've got a total of 400 Portal 1 maps since I met the game on last November (yes... and I'm N?1 fan!!!) and I'm still getting updated (I would like to finish them all ASAP)... but it's difficult having such an amazing amoint of Portal 2 maps since the contest.

The point is that I've become one of the best fans of HMW! Ey mister HMW: are you by any chance an architect or something? I am very impressed about how you used all material of Portal and combined it for making such those awesome buildings in the maps! Also I'm very impressed about all mechanisms and machinery created by you working perfectly in the manic mechanic maps!

And I need to say about Try anything Twice that I can't even imagine how the heck is it possible to think of such intelligent and creative puzzles that force you to play them twice from another point of view!

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

By the way, has anyone checked out that HMW was the pioneer about some of the new features of Portal 2? I'm referring to lasers, redirecting cubes and hard light bridges... I got so impressed that I had to take some pictures! (I hope this cannot be considered as spoiler because I don't know how to hide the images... ey Mr. Sleeper, I'm sorry if I'm doing anything bad, just tell me how to hide images you upload to a posted reply)... This beauty was almost incredible.

I have to urge people to play these maps! REAAAAALLY ESSENTIALS for any Portal player.

Thanks for mapping HMW!!! Of course I have to ask: WHEN ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO IMPRESS US WITH ANY PORTAL 2 MAP? OR BETTER A MAPPACK?

I'm IMPATIENT!!

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Wow, thanks for that! I'm not an architect or something, but I do like to 'designify' things :)
The laser was indeed my original idea, but I 'borrowed' the cubes from Valve after seeing one of the early Portal 2 gameplay videos. (Before that I used mirrors that the player could carry around, but those turned out to be incredibly hard to aim.)

Yes, I'll definitely start mapping for Portal 2........ once I've finished the last chamber of Try Anything Twice!
It's the biggest and most complex one I've made so far, but it's almost done

Spoiler

I'll see if I can put up some images soon.

By the way, you can hide big images (or long text, or YouTube links etc.) in a bigspoiler block:

code:

Code: Select all
[bigspoiler=summary text]
lots
of
lines
of
spoiler
text
[/bigspoiler]

result:
summary text

Spoiler

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Having just finished Try Anything Twice, I knew I shouldn't have missed this one. This is another brilliantly designed map, making interesting new puzzles out of older pieces.

If you like brain teasers, this map is a pretty good one. There are some timing sequences, but nothing really close (at least 3 seconds more than I needed.) For someone playing with a controller as I do, there is only one quick draw McGraw shot, and it only involves quick shooting, not quick aiming.

The Rube Goldberg ball machine had me frustrated for a while, because it kept leaving the last ball sitting on the fan. Fortunately, I figured out early on how to reset the machine by

Spoiler
I don't really know if it was intended this way, but the machine finally worked when the last two balls got blown through together.

One thing this map has in common with TAT is some really large rooms. Boy, are my legs tired!

EDIT: 10/11/2011 On the second playthrough, I realized why the machine wasn't working the first several tries (

Spoiler
.) On the third playthrough, it worked like a charm.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]

Yes, the cross-wiring is a bit of an unintentional red herring, since it can work that way if you're lucky.

And thanks for the long-walks comment. I'll keep that in mind for future maps.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

One of the best maps I've ever played for Portal.
Very ingenious how everything comes together.

Only problem I had was not knowing what to do after I lowered the platform from the ceiling.

Looking forward to more.

PreviousPage 9 of 9