Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[GUIDE] Playing Portal 2 Custom Maps

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

Alright, call me crazy, but I'm on a mac, running OSX Lion, the latest version, and my Folder listening goes as such...

User/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Portal2/Portal2...but you claim that when I got to SteamApps/My User Name there should be a Portal2 folder in there, which there isn't! There are only a few of my games in there and I don't know why! I've been trying all night to figure it out. Help? *sniffle* And I also tried putting maps in Portal2/Portal2/Maps/Addons (the folder I added) with the .vpk file in there. But when I got to load the map, it says it doesn't exist. Please help? Much love for ever? Companion cube?

refreakasoid wrote:
Alright, call me crazy, but I'm on a mac, running OSX Lion, the latest version, and my Folder listening goes as such...

User/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Portal2/Portal2...but you claim that when I got to SteamApps/My User Name there should be a Portal2 folder in there, which there isn't! There are only a few of my games in there and I don't know why! I've been trying all night to figure it out. Help? *sniffle* And I also tried putting maps in Portal2/Portal2/Maps/Addons (the folder I added) with the .vpk file in there. But when I got to load the map, it says it doesn't exist. Please help? Much love for ever? Companion cube?

Not a single one of my Steam games was ever installed into my user folder... but into the "common" folder. Did you check that one?

.:: [SP] Lost in Testing :: #1 :: #2 :: #3 :: #4 ::.
KenJeKenny!? wrote:
Not a single one of my Steam games was ever installed into my user folder... but into the "common" folder. Did you check that one?

Could you please tell me which directory you install your maps to? As that would be helpful so I could update the guide. I lack a Mac system to fully determine where maps are supposed to be.

Also, refreakasoid, for .vpk game files you put in the 'addons' folder whilst the game is running...after you have put it in the folder, type in the console 'update_addon_paths'.

Some of my Portal 2 maps || Mini-Faith || Careful Cube || Vertical Reach ||

|| Need help uploading a map...new user? Read my Map Uploading Guide ||
|| Want to play custom maps, but don't know how? Read my Playing Portal 2 Custom Maps Guide ||
Lostprophetpunk wrote:
Could you please tell me which directory you install your maps to? As that would

Sorry, im a PC user...

.:: [SP] Lost in Testing :: #1 :: #2 :: #3 :: #4 ::.

Hey! So I figured it out guys. And if you would like to update the guide, I'm more than happy to share the information!

In the guide it says to put the makeshift addons folder into the folder called "Maps" BUT DON'T DO THAT! When you make the folder Addons, put it directly into the portal2/portal2 folder, then place the .vpk file into that folder. Type in update addons_path thing, and viola! You've officially got the map to load. Not sure on sounds yet. I dropped those directly into the media folder, still checking to see if those work.

Cheers!

EDIT?: Yup, just verified. In the map la_bringing_together, the designer got Ellen to do the voice of GLaDOS and when I started playing, I didn't hear her voice which is sad because I was really looking forward to it. For some reason my Mac doesn't want to recognize the .bik files...it makes them look foreign. I hope this isn't on all custom maps that have their own sounds and such. I'll let you know again!

The guide was updated earlier. I didn't realise I left it as 'maps' until someone pointed it out.

Some of my Portal 2 maps || Mini-Faith || Careful Cube || Vertical Reach ||

|| Need help uploading a map...new user? Read my Map Uploading Guide ||
|| Want to play custom maps, but don't know how? Read my Playing Portal 2 Custom Maps Guide ||

Mac users should place it in: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Portal

I'm a PC user, but I believe Valve knows what they're saying...
It's at the bottom of this page, on how to 'check the out the winning maps'.

ImageImageImage
Instance: Co-Op Tube Ride

I feel like a total idiot, but a friend and I can't get .vpk maps started ... I hope you can find our blind spot. I'm running on Windows Vista 64 bit.
I download the map and put the .vpk file in steamsteamappscommonportal 2portal2addons. Following the guide, I should be able to start the map just right now, but I am not. The developer console doesn't autocomplete the name and if I enter it manually, I get an error that the given map doesn't exist.
So, since the DLC was released, I tried putting the .vpk files in portal 2portal2_dlc1addons, but that didn't work, either.
I also tried using the "update_addon_paths"-command I found, but the console does not give me any response after entering the command while I'm not running the server. But - now it's getting really frustrating - if I start a server for coop and enter this command, portal2 crashes and Windows tells me that it has been shut down by Data Execution Prevention (DEP). So I tried disabling DEP for portal2, but - it just keeps getting better - Windows says that DEP cannot be disabled for this program (I have no idea, why ...).
I googled and searched this board, but unfortunately I couldn't find any solutions. Please help.

To cut a long story short: .vpk in addons folder is not recognized by the game, what did I do wrong?

Thanks everyone for your help in advance!

Since the dlc has been real eased and downloaded, people couldn't use vpk. I recommend using GCFscape to extract the vpk to use the files.

spongylover123 wrote:
Since the dlc has been real eased and downloaded, people couldn't use vpk. I recommend using GCFscape to extract the vpk to use the files.

Valve should really undo development processes after they have done them. Valve might fix this later on?

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next