Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Getting all the stuff togeather for release...

Again, I've been cramming everything I can find on mapmaking.

Is there a "directory guide" on where to stash custom stuff for Portal levels? Like, if I make new sign textures, or new computer screen textures, or voice acting, or maybe I even acquire a new model for the level... I'm not sure where to put them for testing.

Also... say I've created a map with new voice acting in it. How do I package everything up for the downloads system, so that you guys can get a package, unpack it, then start up Portal and try out the map? Do I just give you guys a zip that dumps the new content into their respective folders (from Paragraph 1) and use them in my map file?

A few developers and I were having an argument about the best way to solve a problem. I came up with the most crazy complex way I could to solve the problem as a joke. One of my coworkers whipped around and said "Now you're thinking in Portals!"

use "map analyst" to compile all the sounds and textures into your bsps.

Not sure I understand what you are asking. Materials should go in the /portal/materials/ directory, sounds should go in the /portal/sound/ directory, so on. Look in the Portal GCF to get an idea of the layout.

As for including the files with your release, I've never heard of "map analyst". I'd recommend PakRat, it has been around since the start and is the best at including files into your BSP. It will zip all of your files into your BSP, so you don't have to worry about people putting files in the wrong place.

And after you do that, don't forget to make a Bonus Map Script.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.