Please or Register to create posts and topics.

GameOverCast discuss their unrequited love with Portal 2

Page 1 of 2Next

In Episode 47 of the GameOverCast we spend a whole bunch of the show talking everything Portal 2,
how much we laughed, cried and died. Stuff covered:
-The Coop
-The Personality thats gone into Glados, Wheatley the turrets and co
-The quality of the voice acting
-The difficulty curve
-Our favourite moments
-The puzzles
-The new tools, such as the gel.
-Our opinions of the level design
-We even go into major detail of the ending, the hidden meanings and what we thought of the final encounter, and the final moments of the game, but Don't worry there are massive spoiler tags in the show that you cannot miss!
-You get to hear the cast doing their best impressions of the turrets...

Check out the Episode here: Episode 47. Its teh funnies(with some mixed in intelligent gaming conversation), and it will make you smile as you recall your fav bits of Portal 2.

Are you still there(done in a turrets voice.....)?

Thanks for spamming on our forum.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Thanks for spamming on our forum.

Wow, I shouldn't have deleted my original post. I'd forgotten I'm the good cop to your bad.

All I said was that maybe next time they should make sure they understood how certain features of the English language worked, like parentheses and capital letters.

Can't blame the guys for trying to drum up a few listeners for a podcast episode about Portal on THE NUMBER ONE PORTAL TWO FORUM ON THE INTERNET YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

"Beep Beep I'm A" Jeep Barnett confirmed we were the first. And we're still the best.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
"Beep Beep I'm A" Jeep Barnett confirmed we were the first. And we're still the best.

The term best is a little vague. Expand ;)

New tracks every Saturday!
http://www.soundcloud.com/jomonay
"Anything that you do, just be THE best at it" - Kanye West
Jomonay wrote:
The term best is a little vague. Expand ;)

Googling "portal 2 maps", we get TWP first.

Second is portal2maps.net, which is a spinoff of portalmaps.net (although the former has significantly fewer ads than the latter; biding their time I suspect). Not only is their content outdated ("upcoming sequel Portal 2"), their actual map downloads are just a scrape of the TWP download database. Compare and contrast. Bizarrely, they list TWP as their "parent site". Oooohkay.

After that, there's a GameSpy link to a FilePlanet download of a bunch of maps that are hosted on FilePlanet without so much as a link of credit back here, just reprinting the forum names of the people who posted the maps. Check out the file info for a wealth of hilariously misattributed credit:

Quote:
Portal 2 - Synchronicity Map Related Links
IGN content for Portal 2
Developer: Nuclear Monkey Software
Publisher: Valve

There used to be many more imitators, but I can't find any of them any more. In short, everyone gets their content from us, even if they repost it without attribution.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

To clarify, he said we were the first. I said we're the best.

portal2maps.net is actually owned by me. Click through, when you go to download a map it redirects you here. Domain parking FTW. I tried to buy portalmaps.net but the guy wouldn't bite. I've thought about writing a few scripts to scrape the various other Portal/Portal 2 sites with downloads and re-upload them here, but I'd rather not deal with DMCA's.

Too fucking funny.

So, yeah, looking at portalmaps.net (not gonna link, because it's an ad-infested hell-hole) is an unorganized dump (as in "take a dump") of maps collected and reposted there.

Also, I remembered the name of another competitor out there, but they apparently have zero SEO because Google doesn't know shit about them.

There's a really old thread somewhere on the forum, back in like the first week of this site's inception, where we found the major imitators. Most of them died after the first year, I'm assuming they all realized there was no ad revenue in custom map sites.

The rest that are around, yeah, don't have a SEO expert to put them at the top of any major search engine queries. In fact it's more difficult to make a relevant query where we're not in the top 3 if not the first result.

ThinkingWithPortals and myApertureLabs are the only two active dedicated sites out there. TWP's currently more active, but we're working on it at mAL (just opened up user-registration again, I think). PortalGameMaps was never really alive I think.

Actually, I still think it would be pretty neat to have a TWP/mAL contest, some sort of cross-forum competition.

Now with 100% more inline comments!
Page 1 of 2Next