Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[EXAMPLE] Turrent Dispenser

Hello on request of Fractal on IRC I've made this little example map.

It's basicly a turret dispenser. What it does, is that a mechanical arm places a turret at ground level when you hit the switch. Also it will not place another turret, when the ground to place it is not clear (you have to move or destroy the turret/debris).

It's not flawless, but it does the job.

Feel free to ask questions or to let me know how you would do this (this is just how I would do it).

Screenshots:
Image Image [img]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3193/hhturretdispenser080105wt2.th.jpg[/img]

Download
Download (mirror)

Update:
Last night I found out how stupid my workaround was for keeping the turret stationary at transport. I made the claws non-solid and parented a playerclip brush to the mechanical arm.

(Edited some spelling mistakes and added a download link.)

(Edited the links to a newer version.)

Thank You!

Great work! i'm going to try it right now :-)

--

The cake is a PI

--

Add me on STEAM: iamafractal
I'm up for coop games & beta testing your maps...

--

... wow :turret: :turret:

Upload to the download database and we'll move this to Releases.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
... wow :turret: :turret:

Upload to the download database and we'll move this to Releases.

Okay I thought it had to belong in here, but you are the boss :)

File uploaded and post edited.

I played with this a little -- I'm making a "Turret Bowling" map for sheer amusement value so I considered using it to replace knocked over turrets for the next frame, etc. Ends up that I'm not using it that way, but I'll pass advice anyways...

You might want to have the template turret spawn disabled, and have it enabled after it is 'deployed'. Occasionally it thought it could see me when I was testing and was like "Activating."

Yes, I noticed that too. It's not meant to be an operational map, it's more like a showcase how it can be done. It's indeed good to know for people who are going to implement stuff like this in their map.

The only thing that really bugged me was that I couldn't let the turret be stationary between the claws. When I just placed the turret between the claws in hammer, only one invisible platform was needed to keep the turret stationary. Once I used a spawner to spawn the turrets, the turret kept on tilting between the claws. Didn't really feel like going deep into this, or into other little flaws.

Pretty cool, I think this is used only once in Portal right? Or is it used more?

Currently working on Darksiders 3.
MrTwoVideoCards wrote:
Pretty cool, I think this is used only once in Portal right? Or is it used more?

There are two places were something like this happens. But there are a bit different.

1. Where you drop between the pistons and get trapped into a room with 3 doors that open vertically. Then you can press E on the mechanical arm of the 3rd turretroom and it will pull back, so you can portal to the next area. But the arm doesn't place the turrets.

2. Somewhere behind glass you see turrets going up and down with mechanical arms, but it's more like background to make it look interesting and nothing operational. Just movement, no placement.

Edit:
No I'm so wrong :P

This does happen in the game :P When you have escaped and get in the room with a lot of small rooms with turrets and you have to get high up there to reach GLaDOS, there will be 2 turrets placed by mechanical arms. Only it looks much smoother than in this map, so I guess they use a better technique :P

I am officially impressed.
:cake: