Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Error]Starting mod in Orange Box SDK problem

When I try to create a mod for Portal, I get this message:

"The source code distributed with this version of the Source SDK is not compatible with the "Orange Box" version of the Source Engine. The mod you create will be compatible with the "Episode 1" version of the Source engine"

Then nothing happens. No Mod is created.

In the "Current Game" drop-down list only Episode II, Portal and Team Fortress are listed.

If I try to launch Hammer Editor I get this message:
"Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' dosn't exist in subdirectory 'c:program filessteamsteamappsuserportalportal'. Chdeck your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting."

Not sure if this will help, but this is the first thing that came to mind:

The Wiki wrote:
Error: Missing GameInfo.txt

This occurs when the Current Game is incorrectly configured. This can happen when:

* The Game Directory is set incorrectly so the tools cannot find the gameinfo.txt file.
* A gameinfo.txt file for the game is missing or incorrect.
* Installing/Restoring HL2 games from a backup that was created via the "Backup Games..." menu, but not having actually played the games after the install (HL2, EP1 etc).

How to fix this problem:

* First and foremost run the game (HL2, EP1 etc) at least once before running the SDK tools like hammer. Running the games for the first time will create the gameinfo.txt and related files that are used by the sdk tools.
* If this is a custom MOD, make sure the Game Directory is set correctly, and that a valid gameinfo.txt is present.
* Try running the game you're editing for once from the Play Games window.
* Try to Reset the Source SDK Game Configuration.
* If that does not work, Reinstall the Source SDK installation.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

You can't make a mod for Portal until the SDK Base is updated, which could be months away.

Oh, so when the SDK --> Tools <-- was updated, it was just the tools, so people can make portal maps, it wasen't the SKD source-code then? That does make sense, but is also bad news.

Yeah it is a shame.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.