Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumCommunity Boards: Hammer and ModdingCubemaps
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cubemaps

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Oh, it absolutely works with the new SDK update. No more vtex_dll.dll errors, they build just fine in Portal. And the peasants rejoice!

yaaaay~

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!
Korjagun wrote:
Oh, it absolutely works with the new SDK update. No more vtex_dll.dll errors, they build just fine in Portal. And the peasants rejoice!

yaaaay~

So no more of the crap where the game locks the mouse movement up and creates weird looking bloom effects where lights are? :shock:

I like my girls like I like my cars, I like them fast, I like them automatic, and I know I'm in trouble if I reach down and feel a stick.

No more. It works just like any other Source game, just like it ought.

mat_hdr_enabled seems to be broken, however. It took a little finagling to get the setting to toggle using the options menu.

Building cubemaps instantly made my level twice as nice.

[vort]The Mapper is one with the cubemap. Should one abuse the other, consequences will be dire but should a symbiotic relationship form, both will prosper[/vort]

:D

Maybe (likely) I'm just an utter noob, but the cubemaps have a tendency to end up having the purple checkerboard texture for me a lot of the time. Now, of course this means that when I go into Portal to regenerate the cubemaps, the existing, garish cubemap ends up getting "baked into" the new ones. What am I doing wrong?

delete the bsp, recompile, and then buildcubemaps only before final release
subsequent buildcubemaps will actually be included into the existing bsp
making the file even larger... I gleaned this info from the Valve Developer Wiki
a week ago, so I don't know the actual link, although looking up
Cubemaps from the main page might help to explain it.

I'm not entirely sure that's the case anymore. I noticed last night that the file size for Accident Prone recompile before building cubemaps was about 14mb. After building the hdr cubemaps, the filesize was not changed. After building the non-hdr cubemaps, the filesize actually went down 500kb.

Curious, I compiled it again under a different name to be sure it would be fresh. I opened it up with pakrat and found that there were actually placeholder cubemaps sitting there in the bsp already.

Lastly, I found something I forgot to do the first time, so I compiled it again. Due to my previously mentioned problems with changing the HDR settings, I accidentally compiled the HDR cubemaps twice. This did not increase the filesize at all.

Shmitz wrote:
I opened it up with pakrat and found that there were actually placeholder cubemaps sitting there in the bsp already.

That makes no sense! Time to email Mike Durand.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
PreviousPage 2 of 2