Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cubemaps not showing up

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

Once again, the cubemaps don't show up or work at all in either the dlc or the standard folder, with mat_specular 1 or 0, with the cache confirmed, standard portal 2 nor tools portal 2.
Thank you,
Sound Logic

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Thank you,
Sound Logic

It would help if you provide a screenshot of the problem, ideally even a shot of working cubemaps (possibly from a friend's computer or a screenshot posted on this site) side by side with a screenshot from your computer. There are a few ways that cubemaps can "not work" (pink checkerboard, too bright, etc.) and a screenshot would help debug.

This is a picture of a elevator. It is from my map, and is a fairly simple thing. As you can see, I don't get pink checkerboards, nor default cubemaps, nor working cubemaps.

Try assigning cubenmaps to certain faces of your walls. Sometimes restarting portal or the map makes cubemaps show up.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

You can buildcubemaps by using the method Kennkong did with custom maps, by making a source mod.

The problem isn't just with building cubemaps, the problem is no cubemaps at all
Thank you,
Soundlogic

Forgive me for posting something I haven't tested, but just FYI:
The order in which Portal 2 searches folders post DLC1 is:
All the following are relative to steeamapps

1. sourcemods/modname (if you're running a mod)
  2. common/portal 2/update
  3. common/portal 2/portal2_dlc1
  4. common/portal 2/portal2
  5. common/portal 2/platform

It will also search any pak01_dir.vpk file in those folders, however I'm not sure about whether the .vpk or the files in the folder take precedence.

Now comes the part I haven't tested:
If you're not running a mod, you should be able to buildcubemaps by putting the map in the update/maps folder.

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this, it might explain some problems I'm having with my mod.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]

Putting it in the dlc folder will fix the cannot find map bug, but my problem isn't that.
My problem is that cubemaps will neither get displayed nor built. I suspect that these problems are related.
Thank you,
Sound Logic

Cubemaps in Portal 2 are sometimes, mainly in testchambers, nearly imperceptible. Maybe you already built cubemaps on the right way, but they just look very similar like the walls are already.

I hope you removed the BSP file from Portal 2 if you built it in Portal 2 DLC1.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next