Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Community Map Project

Page 1 of 9Next

I'll be the first one to admit that I have been a part of a lot of community mapping projects before, and I can probably count on one hand the number of them that succeeded. Depending on the game or the engine, we either hit game limitations for entities or brushes or lights, or the guidelines for size or "scope" were too broad so once compiled it had the worst budget/FPS ever, or the theme was too open ended and so nothing really meshed that well.

Thankfully Portal really kind of solves that problem for us, since it's easy to say "okay your map must begin in an elevator shaft and end with a fizzler and an elevator shaft". Sure there are some more limitations but in the end, there is a clear start and finish.

So to that end, in lieu of another mapping contest, I am going to attempt to start a ThinkingWithPortals Community Pack. I don't have anything set in stone other than your map must start and end with an elevator, and can be as long or as short as you'd like.

Any ideas welcome.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

FYI, I am posting this in the News so that we get a bit more coverage.

And before anyone asks, sure BTS is acceptable. We won't need a "starting chamber" and I wouldn't worry about a "final boss" since I'll probably assign both of those to someone trusted.

Anyway as I said, I am totally open to ideas for this, so please post away.

General Guidelines (So Far)

• Must begin with an Elevator
  • Must end with a fizzler and an Elevator
  • Needs to be Portal/Aperture-themed
  • 2-3 months development time frame (at maximum)
  • VMF must be available to myself or another Global Mod on request
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

my tuppence worth: post14993.html#14993 ??

haha Do you want to throw all of you maps into this?

Oh yeah I guess I should say this before anyone asks. Yes, you would need to provide your full VMF when requested by me or another super-admin (Hober, f0rkz, Duffers) so that myself or other experience mappers may perform any sort of multi-map and/or rendering optimization.

msleeper wrote:
haha Do you want to throw all of you maps into this?

Oh yeah I guess I should say this before anyone asks. Yes, you would need to provide your full VMF so that myself or other experience mappers may perform any sort of multi-map and/or rendering optimization.

That won't sit well with a lot of people...perhaps tell mappers which map theirs should load into at the end and have them edit it?

Okay, I updated it. You wouldn't have to post your VMF here on the boards, but if I or whoever else would help me do the final compile needs your VMF, I'll ask for it. Map content will be kept private if requested so it's not going to be publicly posted.

no no, I mean why try to organise a big comunity mapping project just as I try to get involvement in TS13?
The two projects, whilst not entirely the same are sort of similar all I'm suggesting is you put effort into getting quality stuff into TS13 rather than getting quality stuff into a separate project.

Upon more detailed thought though I think I'd be doing most of the mapping part of TS13 so actually it wont drown me out too much :p (provided I go for the original 'storyline A', story line B will require a larger percent to be done by others.)

That's basically why, you're wanting to do something story-driven where as this is just a bunch of maps by community members. And as you said, that is a personal project and you're doing most of the work on it.

This sounds like an excellent idea and I'd love to participate. I'm currently working on a map pack project of my own, but should have that wrapped up shortly.

I've got some puzzle ideas I've had lying around for a bit, this could be a good chance to put them to use.

Edit:

Will/should mappers need to submit work to qualify participation?

I'd love to try, and then critique all your maps with my amazing mapping abilities.

Aside that though, I'm busy on a Mod, as Sleeper knows....

So I'll see what I can do with Portal in that Time.

Currently working on Darksiders 3.
Page 1 of 9Next