Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Changing Gel Colours

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

Until I'm sure I'd prefer to avoid taking the risk.

Update, I've heard talk of a launch option, '-override_vpk' and attempted to use it to no avail. It was used both with the custom vpk and with actual files in the portal2/materials folder. Neither worked.

mapping-help/modifying-vpk-files-t2336.html
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1427390
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1888439
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fo ... 06&start=0

Update: It should be noted the texture works absolutely fine as normal when it is renamed to be a unique texture of it's own, so it's NOT a problem with that.

As far as I know, editing VPKs to allow skins isn't illegal; in the past I've modified the pak01_dir VPK to change the portal colors and no alarms were tripped or anything. Of course, that was in singleplayer. I'm fairly certain it's perfectly fine, but I understand your reservations. Let me mess around a bit with addon VPKS and -override_vpk and see if something works.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

Is Portal 2 even VAC protected?

I would assume coop...

Actually I don't know.

Anyway, I tried packing a map and custom textures in a VPK, adding the -override_vpk parameter, and it still doesn't work. The best I can discern is that there's no way to override stock files of any sort without modifying pak01_dir.vpk.

Well I guess I'll have to do it then to get this done.

Next point of interest I found in researching the paints, if you create a info_paint_sprayer, turn off smart edit and set the paint type to 1 you'll have purple paint. However, the blobs are NOT textured and use the black/purple chequerboard error texture. In the blobs folder I've been working in this makes sense as there are only the textures for speed, bounce, cleanse and portal. However, if the floor is still being covered in purple paint this means there is another texture/code somewhere that will also need to be edited. I cannot guess what it is as I have tried all the obvious search terms to find it. (Gel, paint, blob, stick, purple, etc. in the filter field.)

All of your guys help is massively appreciated!

Enraged wrote:
Well I guess I'll have to do it then to get this done.

Next point of interest I found in researching the paints, if you create a info_paint_sprayer, turn off smart edit and set the paint type to 1 you'll have purple paint. However, the blobs are NOT textured and use the black/purple chequerboard error texture. In the blobs folder I've been working in this makes sense as there are only the textures for speed, bounce, cleanse and portal. However, if the floor is still being covered in purple paint this means there is another texture/code somewhere that will also need to be edited. I cannot guess what it is as I have tried all the obvious search terms to find it. (Gel, paint, blob, stick, purple, etc. in the filter field.)

All of your guys help is massively appreciated!

Wait for it...
18ZMM6XPcQY

Might want to talk to reepblue, he can probably help you out.

I am attempting to make contact with him aswell as omnicoder who is well known around these parts. Apparently he was involved in the paints development, atleast according to the youtube videos details.

Another note, I have confirmed that the paintblobs and paintsplats ARE different and it is not simply an incomplete programming error in the case of the purple paint as can be seen here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/EagleStrik ... 2360115126

I cannot for the life of me find where the hell the splat textures/color templates are located. I've tried as I said ALL the obvious locations in the textures. This has led me to believe that the colour is being determined in a vmt or some other text file by an RGB or CMYK or some shit like that.

Update

Ok, mistakes get made. In this case it was my interpretation that the paint splats are 1 texture when infact it is quite obvious that the are simply a mix of decals and when a sufficient area is covered the paint is effective in that area. I believe I've found the related textures in the particle's folders and am now about to investigate them further.

Where is the script for the Gel located? I can't seem to find the script for some of the stuff. Any ideas?

Your question is null. There are about 8 scripts controlling different aspects of the gel and it's part of the reason I'm having such trouble finding the determinant factor in the colour of the final splat. What do you want to do and then I might be able to help you.

On a side note, I believe I've isolated how to change the base colour. I've opened and modified the splash particle effects file and there's a third, non-effect related colour for each of the gels. As a result I believe THIS is the colour code used to determine the splat colour. I've modified the file appropriately so it's a black effect with the black splat expected third, and now just need to replace the existing effects file to test it. As I said, still weary of editing the VPK but if it comes down to me not finding another solution very soon it'll have to be done.

I'm wondering if I could get an addon VPK to work by including an addoninfo.txt. Unfortunately I obviously don't know what the Portal 2 definitions will be as they haven't released them yet. Time to take a shot in the dark.

I wanted to look at the gel scrpit so i might be able to write one. I was hoping to make 2 new gels, that would allow Gels and portals to bounce off them, like in a pool table, reflecting the angle they came in on. So I was hoping to find teh script to get a basic idea on gel

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next