Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Box dropper tutorial?

Page 1 of 3Next

I haven't seen a box dropper tutorial yet, is there one? I figured out how to make one, I can post a tutorial on the wiki today if there isn't already one floating around the forums.

Angel_Mapper wrote:
I haven't seen a box dropper tutorial yet, is there one? I figured out how to make one, I can post a tutorial on the wiki today if there isn't already one floating around the forums.

http://www.portal-mods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70

about halfway down the page

have fun

Would still be nice to have a wiki writeup for it.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Hmm, I'm not sure I like that tutorial, it leaves too much to chance, and I'm not sure it even works (at least, my water never destroyed my cube, even with all of the trigger_hurt's flags checked).

Angel_Mapper wrote:
Hmm, I'm not sure I like that tutorial, it leaves too much to chance, and I'm not sure it even works (at least, my water never destroyed my cube, even with all of the trigger_hurt's flags checked).

I put a trigger_remove in the bottom of my water to remove the cube, so the dropper would re-spawn one, so if you stupidly dropped your box in the water you didnt have to go swimming to get it back, the dropper gave you a new one.

And yes, it is a little dogey, but box droppers work differently for each map.

basicly you want this:
something that detects when do drop the first box and spawns a box, a few seonds later you open then close the lid and spawn a new box but this time dont let it out the dropper. Then something that detects if the player needs a new box and opens the lid to let the box out, closes the lid and spawns a new one.
simple really :D

You would think. :wink: Even having a respawnable box is no small task for someone new to the editor.

Angel_Mapper wrote:
You would think. :wink: Even having a respawnable box is no small task for someone new to the editor.

Are you joking!?!?! i could respawn a box within 10 minutes of using hammer........ I wish.

It took me so long to fully get to grips with hammer, well, I've still not fully got to grips with it. for example I still dont understand area_portals, I just cant get my head around any example, they are all worded so I cant understand them :cry:

If you are new to hammer (wich from your comment I assume you are) stick with it, it gets steadily more and more rewarding, whilst not actually becoming more and more difficult (provided you practice).

Yeah, I just started with it last week. A lot of things are easy to figure out now because of the tutorials on the wiki, anything new that doesn't have an obvious solution (looking in the entity list and seeing if anything applies) gets difficult.

Someone write a tutorial for the wiki, stat. I'll do one tonight if nobody else does.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

do you not think you should just put it in the valve developer wiki? Surely keeping all tutorials and stuff in one place will benefit everyone hugely

Page 1 of 3Next